Logo

Aluminum Tank Cleaning

Hi Guys!
I was reading a post

Hi Guys!
I was reading a post about gas tank cleaning you made the suggestion of a clean chain. Tried that but not sure they are really clean. What is a non-caustic degreaser and is it ok to use carpet shampoo? Is using a plain power washer ok or is their a easier way. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

"Dump in 2 gals. of laquer thi

"Dump in 2 gals. of laquer thinner and seal the openings then roll the tank around for 30 mins. to loosen the varnish. Do that 4-5 times w/30 min. between. Let it sit over night. Roll the tank one more time. Recover the thinner and dispose of it properly.

Use degreasing products like engine degreaser, Fantastic or 409. Generic would be Purple Power Degreaser or the like. Use it full strength w/a pressure washer and VERY HOT water. Use some carpet defoaming agent in the mix to cut down on the bubbles. Let the tank soak in the sun a few hours. Rinse and drain several times."

Hi
Do I use laquer thinner no

Hi
Do I use laquer thinner not paint thinner? Would you put new thinner in every 30 minutes and do I follow up with a dereaser to finish? Extra question do all gas tanks have foam under them in the bottom of the boat? Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

"use laquer thinner, no need t

"use laquer thinner, no need to change it every 30 min, finish w/pressure washer and degreaser solution, NOT ALL fuel tanks use foam underneath; poly tanks DO NOT RECOMMEND using it but rather use rubber for cushioning on the contact points."

"Ayuh,...

I hear that the E

"Ayuh,...

I hear that the Ethanol based gasoline does a 'ell of a job loosening up the varnish, crap, etc,+ sending it into the fuel filters,....
uhoh.gif
"

"Thanks Guys!
The laquer thin

"Thanks Guys!
The laquer thinner worked wonderful. Left it all night then did a little chain action. Just a thin paper layer of varnish, could not imagine the junk that came out in my bucket. WoW Tank is clean and shiny new. Saved some money did it myself. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"That's great Carlene. No

"That's great Carlene. Now, to keep it clean, use a fuel stabilizer w/each fillup if you won't run the tank to near empty w/in 30 days. I use it regularly and also add a can of SEA FOAM to the fuel twice a year; keeps the tank, fuel components and carb clean."

Back