Logo

Break in

macbarber

"I just bought a first boat an

"I just bought a first boat and the PO needed to make repairs before I took ownership. I thank all of you who gave me advice on the "one bad piston" post.
Now, I have that boat, and the mechanic said he found a bad piston/rings because water got into the engine. He replaced that piston and rings, and cleaned out the other 3, which were good. New gaskets for both cylinder heads, etc.

1. Will a gas conidtioner help eliminate this problem going forward, and what kind do you reccomend.

2. I will install a new Racor fuel filter and water seperator.

3. Should there be a break in period for the engine repairs? I will take it out tomorrow for my first cruise.

Thanks for your help.

Ken"

"The main thing to keep in min

"The main thing to keep in mind is not to hold the engine at full throttle for any great length of time, and to change the rpm setting back and forth for say the first couple hours..... 10 minutes at a fast idle, 20 minutes at 3/4 throttle, full throttle for 15 minutes etc etc."

"A bad piston and rings from w

"A bad piston and rings from water getting into the engine sounds like a bad head gasket. Racors are a good idea, but I don't think your mechanic meant the water that ruined the cylinder came from the fuel. You may want to ask to be sure. Best way to see what is happening in each cylinder is to occasionally pull the plugs and "read" them. All plugs looking blackish with moderate oily residue (normal), and one or two "bright white ones" (not normal) for instance means trouble."

Back