Logo

Rebulding Carb on NS40c any suggestions

kfields

"I just purchased a used 1989

"I just purchased a used 1989 NS40c, motor runs fine very strong but at low idle its rough, there is about 1" jerk left to right at slow speed. I tried adjusting the crab, it helped a little but not enough to take out the rough idle. Its an 89 and no idea as to its maintenance in the past, so I purchased a rebuild kit, Sierra Marine Carb Repair Kit 18-7290, I will be doing the rebuild with a friend, we have done a lot of auto repairs so I am confident we can handle this. However there is always that hidden trick or little know fact to make it go smooth and get everything just right. Any help or advise on how to go about this would be appreciated.

Where to set the air fuel adjustment and idel screws after the rebuild. Is there any special thing I my need to do to the float. Any advise ???"

those motors never where smoot

those motors never where smooth runner what do you expect pistons as big as paint can and one big ass carberater

"So you saying not to expect m

"So you saying not to expect much improvement with this cab rebuild. OUCH!
snow.gif

Headed out to Lake Mi, and fish the river mouths to land the salmon, this motor needs to troll at low speeds."

Ye olde service manual would b

Ye olde service manual would be of big help to you...Set the float level and the engine will idle for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour without loading up if you have clean plugs and are using decent oil at the right rate.

"I almost purchased a manual w

"I almost purchased a manual when I orderd the rebuild kit, do you have one you recommmend?

You say "set the float level" I ask HOW?"

Any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer f

Any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer for the manual.

Flip the carb and set it so the float is level...That's it.

"See, I knew there was a trick

"See, I knew there was a trick, THANKS!

Well I checked with two dealers here in Cincinnati, two with in 30 miles, and they do not have a manual specific to the 1989 NS40C, that is what I would really like to find. What they had was a manual from ?? HP to 140 HP. So given that fact!! There are a few publishers printing manuals like this, somebody has to an opinion on one!!! I like pictures and instructions for dummies!!
lol.gif

How about that fuel air mixture screw, screw it in all the way in an back it out ???? There has to be a suggested starting point. I guess I will screw the present one in all the way and count the turns as it goes in. That would be a good start.
wink.gif

I like this sounding board!"

Have your dealers order in the

Have your dealers order in the Nissan manual from Nissan or order one online.

Try 1 3/4 out as a S T A R T I N G point.

Back