Logo

70 hp evinrude water pump

mobiletec

"Hi everyone I have an envinru

"Hi everyone I have an envinrude 70hp Model 70673D serial 71185. I got this motor purring after i did the carbs fuel pump and all fuel lines. Now i started it on a stand with muffs. This motor has 2 1/2 holes side by side futher up the back of the motor water tricles out of them kind of sputs out is that normal i dont see any pee hole and the engine runs great and doesent overheat. the guy that gave it to me said the bottom end was rebuilt not o long ago and he always remembers it doing that, could some one tell me if its normal? also i would like to change out the entire water pump can i just remove the lower end bolts and replace or are thesre any little tricks like putting the gear in reverse or anything. Also does this motor have a thermostat Thanks"

yup it hs a thermostat it shou

yup it hs a thermostat it should be at the bottom of the head with what looks like short heater hose attached.

water pump is only accesable by removing the lower unit.

the holes under the cowl you speak of are the pressure relief. you should be ble to lay your hand on the head while running (in a tank or on muffs) for 3-4 secs without being burnt.
gas mix 50:1 with perferably marine 2 cycle or at least 2 cycle oil for water cooled engines.

The thermostat is at the top o

The thermostat is at the top of the cylinder head ( no hose of any kind ).Some water should spit out of the relief holes at idle.At full throttle more water comes out of these holes.

Thanks guys is it possible to

Thanks guys is it possible to put a water hole fitting on this motor. I heard you can tap into the water jacket and have a water site hole on the motor. The one i found has illustrations for the mod but its for 86 thru 94 3 cylinder like mine looks the same on illustration . Thanks

"Well I did my 70 hp 1976 Tale

"Well I did my 70 hp 1976 Tale Tale Mod Ill post some pics. Using greese on the drill bit and tap work well. Just bought a water pump assy and iam going to install that now. Do i have to loosen some kind of shift link under carb to remove lower end. Also should i replace any other seals once i have lower end off? Thanks in Advance
happy.gif
217694.jpg
Tale Tale"">
217695.jpg
"

"Not quite where I would have

"Not quite where I would have put it! Remember You have to use the original nipple in the lower cover or the pressure drop in the system will affect the thermostat/pressure-valve system.
The screw for the shift-rod:
Port side of engine, under the carbs. Take out the screw that goes through the shift-rod."

I did this as per instructions

I did this as per instructions on these forums Tell Tale mod are you telling me that this is wrong That its a bad spot. I did it hte same as the pics. Could someone confirm if this is ok. Thanks

No problem at all. Just buy th

No problem at all. Just buy the proper plastic outlet from a newer motor say an 82 model and install.Proper maintenance / replacement of the impeller every 3 or 4 years is really the best policy.

"thanks guys i got woorried th

"thanks guys i got woorried there for a minute. the fitting i used was 1/8 brass npt with a 5/16 i/d hose. should i get the original plastic fitting insted?

I love this site!!!!!!!!
happy.gif
"

You just need the proper plast

You just need the proper plastic fitting that goes into the lower cowling-----It has the correct size hole in it! look it up on ---shop.evinrude.com-----for an 82 model. Simple really.

"JWB:
If not totally 'bla

"JWB:
If not totally 'blacked out' I thought to remember that the nipple was to be removed from side of exhaust cover to the top water channel going into the block? (about 1/2" from the inner gasket surface of the exhaust cover gasket.)
See pos 11 on below pick. (1998)
217760.gif
"

I thought these 3 cyl motors h

I thought these 3 cyl motors had a problem with air getting trapped at the top? Thought the hole should be at the top on these motors? ( pos #11 on above pic.)

"Woops. I was looking for a bi

"Woops. I was looking for a big hose because of the 5/16 fitting. I thought the red hose in the pic was it. I see the hole only at the top.
Had me worried for a minute, as I have done 2 of these. That is exactly where I put them.
Sorry."

The 76 model never had a nippl

The 76 model never had a nipple on the exhaust cover from the factory. The exploded view above is NOT a 76 model.The man is trying to install the indicator that it never had from day 1.

"Your right Ikia Buddy. The 70

"Your right Ikia Buddy. The 70hp 1976 never had the water outlet anywhere i drilled and tapped and yes i took your advice Ikia and bought the 1982 nipple and cowling nipple too used 5/16 i/d hose iam goig to post some pics. Tahnks for your help realy appreciate it.
217773.jpg
217774.jpg
217775.jpg
"

"I'm fully aware of both t

"I'm fully aware of both that there was no indicator in 76 and what his objective is.
However there are several reasons the indicator was installed, both on this engine and other models.
The main reason was NOT to make an indicator but to secure and improve cooling of the exhaust cover/exhaust side of the engine. When thermostat is closed no water passes through the engine, and the hottest spot is the exhaust cover. By installing the 'indicator' at the exit of the water from the cover some cooling will always be present. If You take a look at older engines without this 'indicator, You will often find these covers 'brown' in color -from heat.
What You do not want is to in any way disturb the internal circulation of water in the block/head. I guess You know how vulnerable the V4 and even 20-30 are when it comes to the deflectors and their state. Drilling in on top of the head as done might disturb the circulation as cooling water will take the easiest way -out through the indicator and not through the block/head as intended."

"First pic was with the 5/16 i

"First pic was with the 5/16 i/d hose. I changed it to 1/8 i/d and changed the cowling nipple and outlet nipple aswell as ikia
happy.gif
mentioned. Worked great . Thanks again ikia"

"Well did my water pump on thi

"Well did my water pump on this engine today. Water comes out of the tell tale mod i did. One question when i put the muffs on and run the water. If i start the engine is water supose to come out of the holes on the side or did i install someting wrong on this water pump i went by the seloc manual. Waters getting were its supose to. Just not sure if water comes out of here too
218164.jpg
water holes"">
218165.jpg
water "">
218166.jpg
"

Back