Logo

1973 Chrysler 85hp model#857HE PLEASE HELP

puzzled

"Please help... i am puzzled!

"Please help... i am puzzled! I just bought a 77 starcraft w/ a 73 Chrysler 85hp outboard on it. The guy I got it from owned it for 1.5 yrs. and never used or put on water. who knows how long it sat before he got it.I ran out all old gas. have correct mixture in new. Just had the carbs rebuilt/cleaned.put it on river and ran right for 2mins. now I'm back to where I started. With the neutral knob pulled out runs great all through spectrum(w/muffs & on water).When gear is engaged w/muffs runs great. but on water(under load) boggs out bad both in neutral idle and at higher rpms. Runs good at 4 mph. boggs down and dies if throtled up more than that..could it just need a new full pump?techs around me can't figure it out(had it in shop 3xs now, same prob.) any theories or advice??"

"Fuel pump check would be a go

"Fuel pump check would be a good way to start, could also be blocked exhaust or even the fuel hoses, they can collapse inside so replace all the way from tank to pump.

Good luck!"

"Thanks Andy! Any idea where

"Thanks Andy! Any idea where I can get a fuel pump? I have only been able to find the "kits" online, not an actual pump. There is one on ebay, but I think is was a 1969. It looks very similar, but not sure if it will fit and the seller didn't know....I get good fuel through the hoses, but once it hits the filter/pump. I don't know. The exhaust seems to work right, how can I check that? Thanks for any insight you might be able to give. Greatly appreciated!!! I just want her to run right once before the season is over.."

"Best to just rebuild the pump

"Best to just rebuild the pump, the kit has all the bits that wear out in it...mainly rubber diaphragms.

When you check the hoses you are pushing the fuel through and that will open the hose, when the engine runs it is sucking and that will suck the bad rubber in and block the hose. I would suggest you replace the ones on the motor and also the hose between the fittings from tank to motor...borrow one is best as its free.

Here's a test for you...run the motor and as soon as it starts to die you pump the bulb on the hose coming from your tank....if this brings the motor back to life then you will know for sure that it is hoses or pump. If replacing the hoses cures it...all good...if not, then its pump rebuild time.

Testing for a blocked exhaust is difficult as you can't see up it very well but if, when on the muffs, you get a lot of water out of the tell-tale "nostrils" it would suggest a blockage as the water should come out of the lower leg exhaust outlet, and just fine spray from the nostrils when not in the water.

Keep me posted.."

"Thanks Andy & Dave!!! The

"Thanks Andy & Dave!!! The shop called me on tues. to see how the boat was running, and I expressed my frustration with them and their service. They were apologetic and insisted I bring the boat back in so they could make it right...I'm giving them this one last chance to get it right before requesting my payment for labor back from them. I'm guessing they won't get it right, as they have already had 3 chances at it. I'm sure you all will be hearing from me again. Thanks again for the help Dave & Andy! I really appreciate it!! Happy Boating( to those of you with working boats)!!!!"

"Well got the boat back yester

"Well got the boat back yesterday, runs better than it ever did. Still miss firing though. They tell me the third cylinder is scorched on dist. cap. Gonna talk to Franzmarine tues. to get a new one. They seem to have many parts for my motor(Thanks David)! Good luck everyone... I'll keep ya posted! Happy Labor Day weekend!"

Glad to hear things are turnin

Glad to hear things are turning around for you! These Chrysler's aren't that complex. Have a Safe and fun Holiday Weekend ( I think I smell Steaks on the grill! )

Dave

Back