Logo

2003T sea water pump

charlesbahn

"My 2003T experienced an overh

"My 2003T experienced an overheat. Shut it down as soon as the alarm came on and verified gauge was showing hot. Traced problem to the sea water pump. The plastic gear behind the pump failed and was in pieces.

Now the big problem I need help with. The steel circlip and 1/2 of the steel roll pin associated with the gear are nowhere to be found, so must be in the engine somewhere. Does anyone know where they would most likely end up? Do I need to tear down the engine to find them?

Any help appreciated."

I think they will end up sitti

I think they will end up sitting in the bottom of the oil sump unless they can lodge in the bottom of the timing gear casing

"Thx VicS. In looking over the

"Thx VicS. In looking over the parts diagram I'm guessing they are behind the timing gear casing cover, siting at the bottom. I may be able to get a flexible magnet in behind the gear that drives the water pump to fish them out. I'd sure be a lot more secure knowing they are out of the engine. I can't figure out how they would wind up in the oil pan, I don't see a connection.

Charles"

"I was assuming that there is

"I was assuming that there is an oil drain pathway from the bottom of the timing gear casing into the sump and that the bits would possibly have gone through that into the sump.
Not any clearer in the workshop manual unfortunately.

I think I'd be keeping my fingers crossed."

"I pulled out a 2003 oil pan,

"I pulled out a 2003 oil pan, block, and timing cover and you're right VicS, there are two oil paths into the sump, not obvious when you look at the parts diagram.

217578.jpg
2003t oil path"">

So the parts are either sitting at the bottom of the timing gear cover or on the sump screen. Question is how dangerous is it to just leave them? Certainly if the boat was knocked over with the engine running it would be a big problem."

Back