Logo

115 mercuries Not charging

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
"This is my fist post I’m new

"This is my fist post I’m new to boating, not disappointed just frustrated, here is my story, I bought a old Stamas (1969) with twin 115 mercury out boards(1971), I took it to the lake and ran it, one engine was running at around 4500 Rpm and the second was around 3400, I was a little disappointed so I took it in to the shop for a tune-up, in the shop they told me that it was going to cost me about $1600 dollars to make it run better, because I needed new stators(motors were not charging), carbs needed to be rebuilt and of course new water pumps and/or impellers, and they found out that two cylinder had low compression (top two cylinders I believe 80 PSI), so the mechanic said that I should not spend any money on this engine since is so old and with low compression, so I ended taking the boat back to the house and I paid $280 for 12 spark plugs and a compression check. Since I’m a somewhat mechanically inclined, I went to Marineengine.com and ordered 2 new impellers and 2 new stators, and installed everything, one engine is charging now and but the second one still not charging, here is what I think I did wrong on the second engine, while replacing the stator I took off all 10 screws from the fly wheel instead of just taking the flywheel nut and pulling everything at once(did not have a puller) I told the mechanic what I have done and he said that I could have installed the flywheel wrong(not at the precise original position) and that could be the reason why is to charging, before that I tried a different rectifier( a confirmed good one) without success, it did not charged, now a good rectifier and a brand new stator later I still not charging, the motor runs, but does not charges as soon as I disconnect the battery the engine dies.

Any ideas?
Is the mechanic right about the position of the flywheel?
What about the switch box?"

Mecahnic was right about any m

Mecahnic was right about any more money and low compression. Scrap these 36 year old engines and upgrade. They are done running.

"Thanks Bandit, I just want to

"Thanks Bandit, I just want to make it thru the summer, what a bout the charging stuff? can you give me some input???"

Do not un-hook the battery. Th

Do not un-hook the battery. Thats how it gets messed up. The rectifier. The wiring it probably bad at this point than.

Do you know how to use a DVOM?

If you check the to two AC ter

If you check the to two AC terminals on the rectifier there should be about 15VAC. If there is ~30 than there is an open circuit or the rectifier is bad. IF there is 0VAC than un-hook the yellow wires and chech again. If it comes back on than there is a short in the rectifier. If that is still zero than the stator is not working.

Check the DCV at the rectifier for 12 volts.

"There should not be any leaka

"There should not be any leakage at the yellow wires and NO voltage present between either yellow wire and ground. Even Mlliamps will kill a battery in a matter of days and this indicates a bad diode cluster (rectifier). Been there. Nearby lightning can kill this stuff, even on cars. Sorry about the bad compression, that is a BIG problem, but the rectifier/regulator block is only about a hundred dollar problem (per engine)"

"Bandit... my rectifier has 3

"Bandit... my rectifier has 3 terminals two that go to the yellow wires that come from the stator and one red one that goes back to the wiring harness, so I should have 15 VAC with the engine running right? and that is one terminal to the positive of the miltimiter then the negative terminal of the mutimiter to the ground right? and then do the same for the other rectifier terminal right? now how do I check the stator? what kind of voltage should I have coming from there? ~30 is the same as 30 VAC right?"

what about the position of the

what about the position of the flywheel? since I took the 10 bolts off instead of the flywheel nut and do not remember if it went back exacly as it was before? could that cause a "off time" flywheel? is the flywheel timed at all in relation to the charging system as my mechanic said?

Right.
Yellow to yellow = 15

Right.
Yellow to yellow = 15 VAC (AC side)
Red to ground = 13 VDC (DC side)
I don't think the flywheel matters here.

But how do I do this? take a r

But how do I do this? take a reading from the rectifier posts(from yellow to yelow) and I should have 15VAC? and then from the post where the red is conected put it to the ground and should be 13DC?

"I know is not putting out 13D

"I know is not putting out 13DC, that is why Im saying it is not charging, from the red the only thing I get is battery voltage. but I'm trying to rule out the parts needed, its a new stator so is there "grounds" that I need to check maybe?"

"Yeah, I understad that. That

"Yeah, I understad that. That is why I asked what the AC volts into the rectifier was. If 30 than
the retifier is bad or not well grounded.
The rectifier is grounded where it is attached?

I have some service manual info on the 4 cylinder 115 with the same system.

I will E-MAil it."

I think from each yellow wire

I think from each yellow wire from the stator I get 6.1 VAC...that is yellow wire from stator to red lead on voltimiter then black lead from voltimeter to ground.

"My 1976 Merc 20 hp has the &#

"My 1976 Merc 20 hp has the "lighting coil" charging stator, but the rectifier/regulator is missing. If I buy (or make) one, will this system require a battery? All I want to run off it is nav lights for night fishing. How many amps is this winding supposed to deliver? How many volts is the unregulated A/C from the 2 yelow leads? This used to be an electric start motor, but not any more."

"Robert, yes. All be it a smal

"Robert, yes. All be it a small one. It is only ~5 amps at full throttle. 0 at idle. The unregulated voltage could be as high as 30 no load. The rectifier is cheap to replace. "

"nicknack2, retest your rectif

"nicknack2, retest your rectifier. When you disconnected the battery while the motor was running, there is a good chance your blew it. Shorted diodes will cause low voltage readings from the stator."

I bought a new rectifier from

I bought a new rectifier from MarineEngine.com at the great price of $27 dollars and
"magic happened" it did fixed the problem... thanks all!!

Back