Logo

Nissan NS5B 5hp water discharge

jobran

"Hi,
I have a 1989 NS5B &#40

"Hi,
I have a 1989 NS5B (with seperate fuel tank) 5hp 2 stoke. This engine is new to me and after I cleaned the carb, put a new fuel filter, changed lower unit gear oil, new spark plug it seems to run great. My question is how much water should I see exiting the little rubber "tail". Right now there is a constant drip but no steady stream. Should there be a steady stream? I am definately going to replace the water pump impeller regardless.

Thanks for your help,
Jon"

yeah those motor piss really h

yeah those motor piss really hard man you need a wate pump but good luck there one of the hardest ones to do

It kind of depends...Over time

It kind of depends...Over time the telltale will have a reduced stream due to wear on the waterpump and/or blockage of the pee tube itself. Run a piece of wire through the pee tube with engine running and see if you increase the stream flow rate.

"Thanks guys for the info. I

"Thanks guys for the info. I will try the wire through the pee tube and see if there is any difference in water output. I did change the impeller with very little change in output (maybe a slightly faster drip rate in nuetral). I have been "checking" this water output in a cooler filled with water.....with the anticavitation plate submerged approx 4-6 inches. When I try to put it in forward gear the agitation of the water becomes such that there is not enough submersion for the water pump to pick up water......will have to wait until I am out on the water for that comparison of water output.
One last question. Is the "key" for the impeller for the NS5B that very tiny small steel/aluminium rod? I am guessing that this is the only piece that stops the impeller from free spinnning on the drive shaft?
Thanks again for your help,
Jon}"

Back