Logo

1992 60 hp Johnson spraying water out of carb

mikeduy

"With the air cleaner off, you

"With the air cleaner off, you see a water mist spraying out of front of bottom carb. Is this a bad gasket on intake manifold? Please help."

Are you sure it is water and n

Are you sure it is water and not fuel? It may be a reed valve that is broken / partially open.

"Your explanation of the probl

"Your explanation of the problem is somewhat confusing.

If you're saying that water is being expelled out from the carburetor, then being drawn back into the carburetor, you have a powerhead problem.

On the other hand, if you're saying that water vapor is being drawn up into that area from a outside source, then being drawn into the bottom carburetor, that is usually due to a speedometer pick, a depth sounder transducer, a water pickup tube for a bait box, or some other object being attached to the transom that would kick up a water spray being directed at the air intake of the engine.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"No Joe, there is no outside w

"No Joe, there is no outside water source. I am watching it with the air cover off, and it is a fog or fine mist when engine running, and with engine off it is a white, milky water in throat of carb you can wipe onto finger and taste."

It is either condensation from

It is either condensation from the cool surfaces of the carburetor or water inside the engine. ----So if you have water inside the engine ------ then 40 years of experience tells me that you should start looking for a new motor as the bearings inside will be scrap-------

"I hear what you are saying, b

"I hear what you are saying, but I am hoping a bad gasket? Is it possible a bad intake gasket on low end of block is feeding water from block through the intake and into carb?"

"What does that #3 spark plug

"What does that #3 spark plug look like in comparison to the other spark plugs?

What is the compression af all the numbered (1,2,3)cylinders?

There is no water passageways pertaining to the intake manifold area. Gasket/water problems could only exist (to my knowledge at the moment) at the PH base gasket, head gasket, or exhaust baffle gasket areas, assuming that the powerhead has not failed at any area.

I'm also assuming that you have checked the fuel and oil supply for traces of water?

And as Ikia suggests, it could be a condensation problem, especially if the engine runs as it should."

I don't have a compression

I don't have a compression tester. All plugs look the same. They are new plugs and look steam-cleaned. The fuel tank and bottom of carb bowels showed no presence of water. This isn't sounding too good according to ikia. Do you concur with this negative prognosis?

"Compression testers are cheap

"Compression testers are cheap. Pick one up at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, any automotive parts type store, many other stores. We want to know the compression readings.

If by steam cleaned pertaining to the s/plugs, you mean that they look like brand new, just out of the box, they shouldn't be if the engine's been run for a half hour or so.

For me to concur would depend on what is actually inside that powerhead, which at the moment is unknown."

"Compression is 120 on all 3 c

"Compression is 120 on all 3 cylinders. Middle cylinder has score marks on cylinder sleeve and head and piston, but not deep. No apparent break in head gasket. I expected any trouble to be in bottom cylinder where water mist coming from but it isn't there and isn't real deep."

"after re-reading-------------

"after re-reading----------------it is going to be a fine mist of FUEL,..THEN,moisture/fuel..condensating,on bottom and being sucked in.....not a prob."

"For my edification, why then

"For my edification, why then is there so much water and none on the middle and top carbs-none at all? thanks jwb"

"well,..that IS a good,questio

"well,..that IS a good,question....i cant answer,..maybe that carb,is running colder,,,does the egn run all right.....run it on a warm day,and see if it does it."

"No, It doesn't run right

"No, It doesn't run right. We had to limp back from our trot-line about 3/4 mile, but it did get us back slowly. It runs better with with the earmuffs and air shield off, without a load. I am not a mechanic but have a friend here who is pretty good to help me learn something. It occurs to me that in looking at a drink with ice in it, the condensation gathers at the bottom of the glass, thus coasters, due to gravity. Could it be that simple? Could it be a comibnation of a faulty reed valve and water jacket gssket on reed-valve assembly to cause water to be pushed into carb and then on intake stroke cause mist and water pooling. I know this is a long coumpound question but there are two of us brainstorming and combining our thoughts so I apologize. Please put us out of our misery."

"well,.if it is a serious blow

"well,.if it is a serious blowback,...then it is fuel,and u need to ck the reed valves for sure...another guy on here 6 mos ago,did have a water prob,on fr of eng but i dont rem the cause,..and have never seen it in 31 yrs...if u r seeing a serious blowback thru carb,pull the intake and look at reeds...at very least u will get some good learning."

On an engine in good condition

On an engine in good condition ---THERE IS NO WATER ANYWHERE NEAR THE REED VALVES---So either it is condensation or a serious problem. You say scoring in the middle cylinder?? Now that is common on that model.Time for an overhaul.

Do we need to pull the intake

Do we need to pull the intake manifold at the carbs or reed valve cover on side of motor? thanks

HHHMMMMM---reed valve cover on

HHHMMMMM---reed valve cover on the side of the motor------There is no such thing!-----Many people do not like to be told that they have serious motor problems-- and that too is from experience.

"thank you we were in the pro

"thank you we were in the process and damn, there was the screw that was missing from the air shield/cover wedged into the port of the middle intake. That isn't the best though. When we just took the bottom carb off to see not one, but the other 3 missing screws from the air cover laying in the intake of the bottom ('misting') cylinder with one blocking a reed valve open. Think that might be the problem. Both you guys were dead on -thanks. I'll be welding those screws on when I replace the cover. One last thing-I can see the torque sequence, but how much torque? Thanks very much-you too ikia."

"no,use BLUE locktite,liberall

"no,use BLUE locktite,liberally on base,intake...not needed on intake cvr....this is one area,..it is a MUST...i have seen ,..roaches,screws,..plastic doodads....fishing lures,etc....use locktite,on the intake base cvr screws ...w/out FAIL.."

"As a disclaimer, this is the

"As a disclaimer, this is the first time we have ever tore into this thing except when I had the air cover off once to replace the gasket that was bad, of course. I noticed and ordered a few screws along with the gasket. I will count closely next time. I would not have ever guessed this happening and being the cause. That is why they call them 'used' boats I guess."

"and u have found ....prob 10

"and u have found ....prob 10 ,very experienced guys here...we all love to help,...many r retired,and a few of us,..r still in the shop business..but,,i am looking at maybe 4 more yrs....and i'm gonna be checking my ranch all day...!"

"all i have is permatex 2b &#4

"all i have is permatex 2b (black) might it hold until I get for one round trip less than 2 miles? i have a feeling i have some catfish that need to be collected and take my hooks off until i get the blue locktight and head gasket? And how hard to torque thew head gasket? I understand you would not advise even a short trip without a new head gasket and blue locktight, but i might try, the fool i am."

"nope..............no permatex

"nope..............no permatex.....sorry....if its put off,.........it WONT get done right.....now if u absolutely gotta roll,........understood,............but,..get your hands on something,that will retain those bolts under vibration....u r lucky,they got cought,in the RV.............i have pulled those screws out,after severe damage,.in the block.........blue locktite,..and tight screws,..u will never have a prob w/THEM,again."

Back