Logo

04b 57GiE Volvo will not crank

crownline1

"Checked all fuses and battery

"Checked all fuses and battery. Also checked throttle neutral switch (jumped both wires, but voltage seemed low. Less than 12V)I also checked voltage to starter solenoid (had 12V from red wire to battery) but only had .2mV when key was turned. Not sure if I have a bad solenoid or relay? Any suggestions?"

just for clarification... you

just for clarification... you read the 0.2mv at the same red wire spot that you previously saw +12? IFSO.... very poor connection between that point and the battery...as in: clean the posts or replace the cable.

"If posts look clean, measure

"If posts look clean, measure the voltage between the +12 and Grnd AT the battery posts while the key is turned to start... if it drops to 0.2 mv, battery is NG."

"I was trying to check out the

"I was trying to check out the solenoid. I get 12V still from the battery (Red Wire)when turning the key, but when I measure the yellow wire attached to the solenoid post, it is showing .2mV when the key is turned. Not sure what the voltage should be, if any. The starter doesn't turn when the key is turned. Thanks"

"That "yellow" wire if

"That "yellow" wire if its really a yellow wire with a red stripe is the circuit from the "start" contact on your ignitions switch to the solenoid. You should see +12 on it when you turn the switch to the "start" position. Start at the switch itself and see where you "loose" the +12. When I start troubleshooting a boat's +12 system, I get a long piece of wire, fasten it to the engine block or battery negative post and use a clip to fasten it to the negative lead of the meter. Then all voltage readings are relative towhere they need to go...except for checking the electronics... then I check the voltage at the negative lead to the electronics relative to the battery when the electronics are on... should be below 0.5 volts, but I digress."

I double checked the ignition

I double checked the ignition all leads see 12V when turned. Also yellow with red stripe also has power coming from key. Neutral switch also see's 12V. Checked the wire harness and it was a tight fit and was not corroded. I still don't have 12V on the yellow wire with red stripe wire at the solenoid. Yellow wire comes through fuse and relay box. Does power go through a relay? I struggle with following the power from the key back to the motor. any suggestions? Thanks for the tip with a wire to the battery (-).

"I don't have the wiring d

"I don't have the wiring diagram for that motor, however, if that wire transits a relay/fuse, what you probably have is the following circuit.
Yellow/red from ign sw furnishes +12 to relay coil. Other coil lead should go to ground. One relay "contact" has a wire (probably red?) that goes via a the fuse to +12. The other "contact" has the Yellow/red wire to the starter solenoid.
When ign switch is turned, +12 is applied to relay coil, the relay goes "click" and applies +12 from fuse/battery to the yellow/red to the solenoid."

Sounds like I'm having sim

Sounds like I'm having similar problems with my 5.7GSi. It will start fine first and second time comming of the trailer and after picking up guests at the dock. After running for 20-30min will anchor listen to radio and attempts to start get nothing. The radio runs there is the beep when the ignition is turned on. When you go to crank nothing no clicking grinding nothing. The alternator has been checked its good. The first time it happened took battery out charged it(took very little charge) put it back in same as before several starts but after running then anchoring running radio and start attempt nothing. Pulled battery took to place of purchase and it tested good 12.5v+ and over 600 cca. Did not charge it took unit to shop and it cranked everytime with them trying to duplicate conditions. Went to lake yesterday and same as before started initially pulled off trailer tied up at dock. Restarted ran for about 20 min turned off ran blowwer and radio started. Ran up and down lake 20min + shut down ran radio and blower start attempt "nothing". Had a 450 amp jump unit and it did nothing. Beep with ignition first turn radio works tilt works but when you crank nothing doesn't seem to be pulling amps. Battery was not charged at shop or before last run at lake.

After spending considerable ti

After spending considerable time with the volt meter checking all of the starter circuit. (I went to the local dealer and got a copy of the starter circuit diagram). I ended up replacing the starter relay. Unfortunately that still did not completely solve my issue. It appears that my connectors in the fuse box are not making contact with the starter relay. When I have the relay inserted in on an angle it works fine and then stops. I again rechecked all voltage and it shows everything should be ok. I'm trying to replace the fuse box but no one has it in stock and volvo doesn't know when.

"I've been able to fix suc

"I've been able to fix such problems on occasion with the judicious use of a small bladed screwdriver. If you are adept with small tools... The contacts in some "fuse boxes" are nothing more than connections that are crimped on a wire and then snapped into a cavity in the box. While this is a great system from amanufacturing standpoint, it does leave something to be desired from a maintenance and longevity standpoint. Alternatively, it is a metal strip that is bent into a contact shape on on end and a screw terminal at the other and then snapped or molded into a plastic block. My guess is that once upon a time, someone hamfisted the relay into its socket and instead of properly mating with the contact, bent the contact slightly. Get a strong light and a magnifier. Look closely at a couple of good contacts and then at the bad one. You should be able to "fix" the contact. It is rare that those contacts get mangled to the point of not fixable. Just go slow and easy."

Back