Logo

CONFUSED3000RPM MERC 115

3RDGEN

IVE GOT A 1976 INLINE 115 THAT

IVE GOT A 1976 INLINE 115 THAT HAS 125LB ALL 6 CYLINDERS..GOOD FUEL PRESSURE (REBUILT THE PUMP)RUNS SMOOTH BUT WONT PULL OVER 3000RPM I HAD THE TIMING CHECKED ITS CORRECT RUNS COOL...STARTS A LITTLE HARD...PLUGS LOOK GOOD TOO??? CONFUSED

If that motor is a '76. it

If that motor is a '76. it will have a distributor.

Check for arcing on the plug wires. Check the dissy cap for dirt/grease. Put a timing light on each plug wire and run the motor to assure it has spark on all six.

What sizeprop and what kind of boat do you have? Is the prop the same as you have used when it ran to 6000RPM?

"CHeck the battery voltage at

"CHeck the battery voltage at that speed. If it way out of line, you will have ign. problems. All 3 carb's are getting gas into them?"

I have a 78 inline 6 with cold

I have a 78 inline 6 with cold start lever.I didn't know but that lever was up just a little bit. Could not get up to speed. pushed it down and bang I'm running 4500 to 5000rpm with a 3 blade 13 3/4" x 17p prop. Check your lever and check your prop size.

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
lol.gif
"

THANK YOU FOR THE IMPUT...JUST

THANK YOU FOR THE IMPUT...JUST GOT BACK FROM VACATION...I DONT THINK ITS A PROP ISSUE ITS ON A 16'TRIHULL AND I RAN IT WITH A 133/4 15P PROP.I WILL DEFINETLY CHECKEVERYTHING THING ELSE POSTED.AGAIN MY THANKS TO ALL FOR THE IMPUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND WORKING ON IT THIS WEEKEND....WISH ME LUCK!!

"1976 115 hp Mercury Inline 6

"1976 115 hp Mercury Inline 6 outboard - When I shift into gear the engine dies out when boat is in the water (under load). If I bring the cold start lever up and shift into gear it will run all day on idle and put around. On land with ear muffs on it runs as it should (shifts into gear, high RPM's can be achieved, seems fine. Stumped?? I have rebuilt the fuel pump, new electronic switch box, new control cables, wiring harness, starter, plugs, new fuel tank, new gas, etc. Any info would help.
Thanks
Terry}"

Back