Logo

Crusader 454 electric fuel pump conversion

billagain

I have an '85 Mainship 40

I have an '85 Mainship 40 DC with 454's. I'm thinking of converting to electric fuel pumps. Any expert advice would be welcomed.

Bill

"Ayuh,....

The Mechanical f

"Ayuh,....

The Mechanical fuel pumps have been working for 23 Years,....

Why change a Good Thing...."

I should have mentioned why I&

I should have mentioned why I'm considering this. I've had starting issues with my port engine for the last three seasons. Very difficult to start after sitting for a week. It's like the carb float chamber drains during that time.

"In fact, your carb could be l

"In fact, your carb could be leaking down - especially if it's a Rochester Quadrajunk (which I have).

Also, I've found that after a long run, that if I start her up one more time after she's cooled down a bit, that she's easier to start the next time; leading me to believe that the fuel "evaporates" from the hot engine...

Just my random thoughts."

"I wish I had mechanical fuel

"I wish I had mechanical fuel pumps, I've had two electric pumps die in one year, the mechanical ones last forever."

"Crusader has a conversion kit

"Crusader has a conversion kit if you want to make the change. I don't have a problem with electric pumps, but if it's not broke, don't fix it."

"Bill, I have the exact same p

"Bill, I have the exact same problem as you and have considered the same fix. I think it would work but will be an expensive upgrade for a minor incovenience. My workaround is like this. 5 sec. crank on 1 engine, let it sit while I crank 5 sec on the other. go back to the first and it starts right up, same on the other. No problems the rest of the day, or the next day for that matter. Only a problem after 2 or more day sit."

Thanks for all the input. I h

Thanks for all the input. I have installed a new mechanical fuel pump on the port engine. The old pump bench checked okay with 5" of vacuum but I figured it was worth the try as it was original. It has helped with the starting issue. We will see after she sits for a week.

"Neat idea, GD. I'll try

"Neat idea, GD. I'll try that. My trick is to refire the motor just before leaving the boat, to refill the now cooler (or cold if left overnight) carb bowls.

Marine carbs run dry after sitting a week in the heat of the bilge--common problem. One solution is to go to electric pumps but, as stated above, mechanical pumps are far more reliable!

The ULTIMATE solution is to go with BOTH. Put the electric pumps in series with the mechanical pumps and use a momentary push button to run them. This acts like a 'booster pump' to fill the carb bowls, but AFTER you've wheeled the motors over to make damn sure water didn't sneak in on during the week. (Those instant starting EFI motors are hand grenades if water leaked in overnight.)

I haven't done this yet, but someday brother!

Jeff"

"It must be commonplace to hav

"It must be commonplace to have that 1 week starting condition as mine do the EXACT same thing. Up to about 2 days, she starts like a 2008 fuel injected instant starting engine. Give it Saturday to Saturday and you WILL crank 'em for about 7-10 seconds before they run."

"at least it builds up oil pre

"at least it builds up oil pressure before she starts, maybe a good thing! It's not like we are wearing out starter brushes on our boats..."

I say "exactly"!!!

I say "exactly"!!!

My wifes car (Infinity) starts the instant you hit the key - and I always hear the upper-works rattling when she first fires off - drives me insane.

I too like knowing there's oil pumped up above before she fires off.

"Winn...It must be GENDER base

"Winn...It must be GENDER based. My wife and daughter do the same thing. My daughter has a new CX 7, all 4 seasons....gone in less than 5 seconds. My 2001 F-150 has 196,000 miles and warms to operating temp EVERY DAY! Runs like the day it was new"

"While its nice to think that

"While its nice to think that cranking an engine "for a while" in order to get the oil up running is good, its very likely that the oil in the engine totally drains down before you drive home that night, while it takes a couple of days for the gas in the carb to evaporate... leaving behind..."residue". If I know I'm going to be away from the boat for more than a day, I usually run the carbs dry...less "residue" in the carbs that way. I've been considering rigging a push button at the helm to run the electric fuel pump for a few seconds to fill the carb bowl when the boat has been sitting for a while. Not worried about starter brushes but the battery. When battery is brandy new not a problem, but towards the end of the third (or fourth) season of a batterys' life, especially on a cold fall day....!!!"

"My 454XL msts 1995 450 hrs ar

"My 454XL msts 1995 450 hrs are hard to start after a few days also. I will try the 5sec on one, then the other and back. Will let you all know.

Thanks
Kevin z"

"....."I've been consi

"....."I've been considering rigging a push button at the helm to run the electric fuel pump for a few seconds to fill the carb bowl when the boat has been sitting for a while. "

Did that on my old boat. Worked great! Just be sure to wheel her over a few seconds first, to be sure there's no water in the cylinders.

Jeff"

"I use a double action momenta

"I use a double action momentary rocker switch for my electric prime pumps. Two seconds to the port or starboard will start the engines usually on the first try after sitting a month.

219258.jpg

You can see the small marine walbro pump in this picture of the fuel line. This pump works for diesel or gas.

219259.jpg
"

"Tell me more about that pump,

"Tell me more about that pump, please: Does it run continuously? What does one costs? Where did you get it?

Thanks,

Jeff

PS: Beautiful engine room! I'd die if you saw mine."

"Thanks. Here is one selling

"Thanks. Here is one selling on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Walbro-Marine-Electric-Fuel-12V-Pump-Model-60-92- NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1163Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a1Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a13 18QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem280266827285QQitemZ280266827285

If you buy one off Ebay make sure it comes with the mounting strap which also is part of it's grounding.

Here is some info on the pumps.

Walbro marine electronic pumps are engineered to the strictest safety requirements. They exceed the fire resistance, corrosion reistance and dielectric requirements of the Marine Division of Underwriters Laboratory. They also meet the "Boat and Associated Equipment Safety Standards for Electrical and Gasoline Fuel Systems" published by the United States Coast Guard, January 31, 1977.

Walbro marine diesel electronic pumps provide dependable, pressure-controlled fuel supply. They can pull or push fuel. they are self priming, eliminate hand pumping, and reduce vapor lock problems. They can be used as a completely independent fuel pump system, or as a booster or standby unit. They can transfer diesel or gasoline.

Thanks to a solid state design, mechanical switching elements are eliminated for reliable operations. Only three moving parts are incoporated in the pump, so there is little to wear out. The electrical system is fully insulated and sealed, with a two-wire hookup and static ground connection. Current draw is low. Two filters are used. A magnetic filter traps metallic particles while a microbon filter dissipates water and collects fine particles."

OMC used that pump as the fuel

OMC used that pump as the fuel primer on their V/8 outboards. The beauty of it is that fuel flows freely through it when it is not running which allows the engine's pump to take over after you are primed.

Back