Logo

115 hp overheating or

no_catchy

"Do 1984 115 Johnsons have S.L

"Do 1984 115 Johnsons have S.L.O.W.?
I believe it's an '84 model - J115TLCRD, J5963189.
VRO has been removed by previous owner.

Things my brother & I have checked:
Good spark, new plugs/wires, drained old fuel...put in fresh fuel (50:1), new fuel pump (non-VRO), new fuel lines/clamps, new bulb/hose, no visible leaks, carbs look clean, gas tank vent not clogged. The motor fires right up on the first crank and idles great. Strong water stream coming out the back end.

The problem we are having is after idleing out past the no-wake zone, nail the gas and it gets up to speed and planes out just fine. After 5-10 seconds at 3/4-to-full throttle it falls flat on it's face and runs rough/spits/sputters. We can limp it back to the dock at about 1500 RPM, but it runs rough the whole way and sometimes have to push the key (choke) and hold it in all the way back to dock. This problem has gotten progressively worse every time we take it out. It used to run 4-5 minutes before doing it, then 2-3 minutes, then 30-60 seconds, now 5-10 seconds. Sometimes the warning buzzer would come on, sometimes not, while limping it back to the dock. When the engine is cool, we have found that we can run around at half throttle (under 3000rpm) for a while without much problem. It's only when you hammer down on it that it does a faceplant (over 3500). Checked the fuel bulb while brother is driving and it is full the whole time.

Did some reading/searching on this forum and assumed *slow* was kicking in, so I disconnected the tan wire from the terminal block, but it did not make any difference. Matter of fact the temp switch wire on the port side had already been snipped off years ago by previous owner or mechanic. It has been running perfectly the past few years, just started doing this crap recently.

What do you guys think? Bad T-stats? Water pump looks like it is working fine."

"first off........they dont ha

"first off........they dont have SLOW---in 84 as per your--DO THEY HAVE SLOW..........ask your question again,...so we can decipher it...."

"Thanks.

Basically, the mot

"Thanks.

Basically, the motor will not run longer than ~10 seconds at full throttle. It reduces power and acts like it's running on 2 cylinders.

Only does this when 75% (or more) throttle is applied.

We can drive it around all day at half throttle and it runs perfectly."

"then,i would say u have one,o

"then,i would say u have one,or both of these prob's-
1. Overheat
2.Fuel restriction
since u have pushed chk in to assist u.i would def clean/rebuild carbs,ck fuel hose del system,anti syphon valve,filters etc.
ck fuel pump pressure to carbs,at WOT..if poss,or repl pump."

"oh,.and very important-------

"oh,.and very important-------ck fuel for WATER...pull a sample in a jar,and see if wtr is present,...ANY water."

Back