Logo

Force 125 OB Pesky Fueling Issue

quick65

"Engine starts quick and runs

"Engine starts quick and runs well, however,
fuel pressure in fuel line drops as engine idles/runs resulting in cut off after a few minutes. Bulb goes soft. Engine runs perfectly while bulb is continuously pumped. Replaced fuel line, bulb, and fuel pump gasket and membrane. Is it worth it to try to replace the fuel pump itself? Where can I get parts. The only part I have been able to find is a FUEL PUMP KIT which just includes gaskets and membranes. Please help. This boat is so close to being ready and I would like to have JUST ONE experience this summer where I don't need to pump that bulb the entire time!

Thanks in advance."

"Stanley, before you go at the

"Stanley, before you go at the engine anymore maybe check out your gas tank.

If it's built in, check the vent line. Might have critters/cooties in it, also check the fuel line pick-up in the tank for crud and the anti-syphon valve (could be stuck).

If your bulb is going soft it could be because the fuel pump is sucking everything it can out of the line but some partial blockage (either of air in or fuel out) is preventing enough gas from getting to the motor in the first place..."

"Thank you for your response.

"Thank you for your response.

Asside from checking for blockage/leaks inside the tank, do you think it would be worth my while to open the fuel pump and clean the fuel pump check valve?

Thanks in advance"

"That would never hurt, but it

"That would never hurt, but it kinda sounds like a problem outside the motor from what you describe.

A super fast troubleshooting solution would be to beg/borrow a portable tank and take it for a run with that. If the problem remains it would rule out your on-board tank - if it clears up you know for sure where the problem lies..."

"Semi-solved.
I disconnected

"Semi-solved.
I disconnected the primer bulb on the tank side and forced air down the fuel line to blow away any blockage. Then I removed the fuel pump and gave it a thorough cleaning. There was rusty gunk all around the center check valve caused by corrosion of the hold-down screws. After the cleaning, I tested each check valve and found that the center check valve was stuck open. While trying to remove the center check valve, the head of one of the hold down screws broke off. Since the other screw was still intact, I left it alone and put the fuel pump back up (with new gasket and membrane. THE BOAT RAN MUCH, MUCH better. There were a few bobbles at max. throttle but other then that, it ran pretty well the whole day.
QUESTION: Do I have a prayer of getting a new fuel pump any where??? If anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know."

Back