Logo

1994 Mariner 25hp lower unit help needed

11hollywood

"Hello, I have a 1994 Mariner

"Hello, I have a 1994 Mariner 25hp motor that I took to the shop to have a prop shaft installed. The mechanic called me today and said that he couldn’t get the lower unit off because it was corroded and that he was afraid something might break if he tried to force it off. He said that he let it sit in WD-40 for the past two days and that it still won't break free. What can I do, I need some help?"

"That's not an uncommon is

"That's not an uncommon issue - especially if the motor has ever seen salt water.

Most shops are reluctant to force it for exactly the reason he stated. It's one thing if you break something, it's quite another if "they" break it.

I have literally cut lower units off by taking a grinder to the bolt heads and then later repairing the gouges in the case.

The worst part of the situation is, if the impeller had of been replaced every second year as it should, the lower unit would never get to the point where it wouldn't come off.....

A point to note, if the lower unit won't come off then I very much doubt that the bearing carrier will move which will also have to come out to replace the prop shaft.

This may turn into a home project or require at minimum a new gearcase if this one gets destroyed in the process..."

Back