Logo

RPM vs Boat Speed

R

Roger_P11111

"I just purchased a 2000 Sylva

"I just purchased a 2000 Sylvan deep V 17' with a 90hp Merc outboard. The motor runs good but, it runs at 5400 rpm WOT and 34 mph for about 2 mpg. It cruises at 4500 rpm and 26mph (sweet spot)Max 3 mpg. Does it sound like a prop error or normal stats?
I checked the prop size and pitch but forgot between the boat storage and here, I am not smart enough to write it down (even @ my age)."

"Your rpms sounds good as does

"Your rpms sounds good as does your speed at wot and "cruise".

How accurate do you think your fuel consumption numbers are?

I would expect 3 mpg at wide open and about 5 mpg at your sweet spot - or to put it another way, about 9-10 gallons per hour wide open and around 5 gph at the sweet spot..."

I am not completely sure of mi

I am not completely sure of milage. Only a couple of trips. I am dialing in a gps unit and am adding a fuel flow meter to the network. We will see what it says. Heading for a one week Canada trip on Friday. I did not want to run out of Fuel in the middle of nowhere.

"Canada Eh [img][/img]

I wo

"Canada Eh

I would figure on 10 gallons per hour max and then only go half as far as that would work out to based on tank size, unless there is a marina fill station nearby...

By the way, our gas up here is going for $1.26/litre today average - that's $1.26 x 3.8 = $4.79 per US gallon"

Back