Logo

454 oil leak

geno

i have an oil leak coming from

i have an oil leak coming from the rear of the engine---does anyone know if there is an oil drain plug back there that might be leaking---i can't see back there-geno

"Don't know if this helps

"Don't know if this helps you much or not but, I experienced the same thing for the last couple years. Nothing too big, just sort of annoying. I too thought it was coming from the "bottom area". When I pulled the engine last week (for other maintenance related reasons) I discovered she's oozing ever-so-slightly from the back left side of the intake manifold. It's oozed down towards the sending unit, and an occasional drip from there - leading me to believe that's where the problem was.

Everything else looks good and "leak free". Since it's somewhat of an insignificant leak, I'm going to leave it be for the time being. After all, I can replace the intake manifold gasket without having to pull the engine again. Also, my engine compartment (Blackfin 24) is completely separated from the bilge, so no oil gets into the bilge or into the sea – I just wipe the engine pan clean from time to time…"

"I argree with checking around

"I argree with checking around the sender.

I thought my real seal was going and found it was the 1/4 NPT nipple on my sender that screws into the block. Of course this was my port engine. I found out hte hard way when the leak got so bad it pumped all my oil into the bilge. Luckily I was coming off plane when the oil pump sucked air. I immediately shut her down and somehow a year later the engine is still running although I'm sure I did some damage.

I still have a small leak that I do need to address one of these days. I tightened the nipple as much as I dared for fear of shearing the brass nipple off in the block, but it must still need a turn or 2."

thanks for all the help--does

thanks for all the help--does anyone know if there is a drain plug in the back of the pan?

"I'll look at mine today a

"I'll look at mine today and get back with you - she's sittin' in an engine stand at the moment. I know there's a plug, just not sure of the location..."

".."does anyone know if th

".."does anyone know if there is a drain plug in the back of the pan?"

Nope. Rear main seal leak, probably.

Sorry.

Jeff"

Back