Logo

White smoke temporary power loss

trudie2

"hey all-

i had my boat out

"hey all-

i had my boat out this weekend. i have a 1990 60 hp evinrude w/ vro. i just got the boat and i premix my gas 100:1 to make sure it is getting oil. i had run it at (half hour at 1/2 throttle) and it was like it downshifted immediatley on its own, it ran great prior to that. it didn't seem like it kicked into slow, it was like it downshifted. then a cloud of white smoke came out. the next day i changed plugs thinking the mixed gas and vro fouled the plugs and took it out again. no smoke, but it was like it wasn't getting gas. then while i was slowly revving the throttle it let loose and ran full throttle great again. my question is, could the smoke be from the oil or would it be black smoke? does this sound like something was blocking gas flow and it unlodged itself to allow me to go full speed?

any ideas or input as to what happened and if my engine is ok is much appreciated....."

"1 st of all if you are going

"1 st of all if you are going to pre mix ,disconnect the vro .there is no reason to run 100:1,then you say white smoke,are you sure it is not steam,2 stroke oil will look blue when burnt.it sounds like your plugs may have fouled.
if the problem happens again check your spark,
/ign sys for loose connection.
and re post with more info"

"i mixed 100:1 for the first t

"i mixed 100:1 for the first tank full. it is a new boat to me and i want to make sure the vro is working properly so i can keep an eye on my oil tank levels without frying the engine for lack of oil. i won't mix after i go through this tank.
i had changed my plugs after this happened and it took a while to kick into full throttle, there was white smoke when i first started it up. there was too much smoke to be steam and it was coming straight out of the exhaust.... i am going to take it out again this weekend to give 'er another go and see what happens."

"if u r going to stay on VRO,.

"if u r going to stay on VRO,..the proper tests should be done to ensure it is oiling properly."

"what would the proper tests i

"what would the proper tests include? something i can do myself? when i first got the boat it hadn't been used through the winter and when i first pumped the primer bulb i noticed a small amount of gas coming from the top of the seam at the top of the vro pump. i haven't seen it do it again. i was told the cork gasket can shrink when it is dry and once the gas hit it, it expanded again and thus stopped the gas seapage. that is what concerned me to mix the first tank. don't know if that is a line of bs or not. my particular control box does not have an over heat alarm to make sure the vro is working and it doesn't overheat.... apparently whoever bought the boat skimped on the control box and it didn't come with the warning horn, even though it is an omc control box."

Back