Logo

1996 Johnson 115 60deg V4 hard to start

rossm

" This motor is very hard to s

" This motor is very hard to start after it has been sitting for a while. Once it does go (which takes tons of choke) it is fine for the rest of the day. I have been told that this is normal and that it has to do with the carburetor design. Does anyone have an opinion, or even better, a fix? "

"Ross... I'm assuming that

"Ross... I'm assuming that when you say "after it has been sitting for a while", you're speaking of a fishing, sking, whatever outing, and you shut the engine down then let it sit for awhile. If this is the case, "tons of choke" is not normal by a long shot. I would suspect that possibly the fuel is being siphoned back into the fuel tank due to possibly a faulty valve in the fuel primer bulb (it happens). Try pumping the fuel primer bulb before restarting.

If on the other hand by "after it has been sitting for a while", you're speaking of having it sit without being run for a month or so, the possibility exists that the carburetor(s) jets are becoming fouled. In which case the only cure is to have them cleaned.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe
To be more speci

" Thanks Joe
To be more specific, "a while" in this case means
at least a day. I do prime it first and I'll check the bulb but I think its OK. It certainly looks like a fuel problem but I am also suspicious of the "Quick Start" magic starting system. Any idea how this works and what can go wrong? "

"Ross..... Unfortunately I ret

"Ross..... Unfortunately I retired before that engine came into being and I'm not familiar with the "quick start" system that you speak of. Hopefully some other tech will comment on that.

At the time I retired, the engines had a electronic setup whereas the timing would stay slightly advanced, which in effect increased the rpms until a certain engine temperture was obtained..... No need to advance the throttle slightly for starting??? (Yea, right!) I never bought that idea. If this is what you're speaking of, the above expresses my opinion of it <grin>.

I found it much better to advance the throttle slightly as per the old method as it is near impossible to start an engine at a dead idle setting should that electronic advance prove faulty. (A electronic spark advance does not crack the throttle butterfies slightly open).

Other than that, I'd be inclined to think that a carburetor problem exists... slight clogging that might affect starting but would alow the engine to run near normal once operating temperture is obtained.

Joe
"

Back