Logo

15hp Mariner 19845 wont starthelp

john103

It ran fine for 2 months and t

It ran fine for 2 months and then sat in gargage for 1 month and won't start. Tried everything but couldnt get it to start. Seems to be getting gas and both plugs have spark. When i spray carb with starting fluid it acts like it's going to to kick over but doesn't.
It's a pull start. Any idea's out there???

"don't use starting fluid,

"don't use starting fluid, no oil

Spark needs to be a deep blue in color and jump at least 1/4 inch

pehaps its just flooded, leave plugs out and let dry"

"Plugs were dry. The only time

"Plugs were dry. The only time I got alittle impressed when 1 squirt of that starting fluid into carb and it really wanted to start but on the second pull after that back to same old.
216830.jpg
216831.jpg
216832.jpg
"

"Hi John,

Could the fuel h

"Hi John,

Could the fuel have gone bad in the month the motor was resting? I wonder whether draining out the remainder of the old stuff and feeding it some fresh gas might help.
2_cents.gif
"

I had similar problems with my

I had similar problems with my 15 HP 2003 model motor. I changed the plugs and put new gasoline and everything went fine.

Dimitris

"I did change plugs and put ne

"I did change plugs and put new gas in , but still nothing. I'm still thinking gas problem but could be that cdi ignition (which i know nothing about)..Next step will prob. take in for repairs. My Friend says possible fuel pump but I have no idea. Sad. Ran great when it was running."

Does anyone ever heard of kill

Does anyone ever heard of kill switch problems?
Iam thinking maybe the sitch button is faulty?

Kill switch stops spark and yo

Kill switch stops spark and you say that you have a good spark---Puzzling.I rebuilt one of these motors and they are impressive to say the least.Have you checked timing and flywheel key?

"ok, that would not be it then

"ok, that would not be it then because I did have spark. Don't know about flywheel Key, don't know what it is? I'm thinking of taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out before fishing season is over. The darn thing did me good til july when ididnt use it for about a month and now that i neeed it, it doesn't work,, not good."

"You need to look at the ignit

"You need to look at the ignition system, check coils, stator, CDI unit etc.You have weak spark causing a no start condition."

"So i found out it's made

"So i found out it's made in Japan. and it needs a pulsar coil which is n/a. Where is the it located? I'm thinking the 3 screws on the top unit, then what? I dont have a diagram for it since it's a 1984 15 hp."

Pulsar coil is under the flywh

Pulsar coil is under the flywheel.

Part is still available from CDI/Rapier (as a reman) for 95 bucks - they have it listed under the Yami part number R6E7-85520-70-00

"Yes, all the "power gener

"Yes, all the "power generating" components and the trigger (pulsar) which tells the coils to fire is under the flywheel.

#5 in the diagram is the pulsar...

219046.jpg
"

"Thank you for the diagram. Th

"Thank you for the diagram. That really helps.
DO you know if that nut holding the flywheel on is clockwise or counter? Also, is there any trick to removing that big nut in the middle while keeping the flywheel from turning?
I dont have a puller.."

"I have a 1984 Mariner 15 hp a

"I have a 1984 Mariner 15 hp and I want to replace the coil which is located under the flywheel i was told. I have the top plate off and the middle nut loose. I just can seem to get the flywheel off. Is there something I'm missing to remove,screws etc? I don't have any kind of puller so I have to do it another way. Someone told me to pound it off but dont want to bend or ruin it. Also, i have never done this before but learning as i do it.
219269.jpg
219270.jpg
"

"I have a 1984 Mariner 15 hp a

"I have a 1984 Mariner 15 hp and I want to replace the coil which is located under the flywheel i was told. I have the top plate off and the middle nut loose. I just can seem to get the flywheel off. Is there something I'm missing to remove,screws etc? I don't have any kind of puller so I have to do it another way. Someone told me to pound it off but dont want to bend or ruin it. i have never done this before but learning as i do it. Thank you in advance for your time.
219273.jpg
"

"John, you will destroy it wit

"John, you will destroy it without a puller.

Go to Napa or any discount auto place and get a "steering wheel puller" - generic ones cost about 5 bucks and will work for pulling flywheels from small horsepower outboards."

Simple go to your local marine

Simple go to your local marine shop and ask for this service.The right approach will work wonders and you do have to pickup parts somewhere.The internet is a good place to buy parts and then people wonder where did the local repair shop go???

"got a puller and got the flyw

"got a puller and got the flywheel off , replace coil, and put it back together, dont know how much the middle nut was torqued on but seems real snug,hopefully it will hold,,
Thank you all for your fine advice."

Back