Logo

AQ131A Dwell Drift Or Something Worse

B

Ben Crey

"I have a problem when operati

"I have a problem when operating under load, either my timing advance isnt working right or I have a fuel problem. When its acting up the tach seems to go a bit crazy too. I think that the knowledgable guys are going to tell me to convert to electronic ignition. Is it o=possible that the bushings are worn in the distribuor drive and the points are getting shook out of their setting?"

"The distributor bushings norm

"The distributor bushings normally do last forever, but the best way for you to find out is to remove the distributor and take off the plate to which the points are attached. You may find that one of the springs for the mechanical advance weights is broken, or that the weights are seized.

And yes, I think you should convert to electronic ignition.
biggrin.gif
"

"Thanks El P I was in Ucluelet

"Thanks El P I was in Ucluelet when this thing started acting up. Fog coming in, Wind picking up... 18 ft Campion Explorer...Electronic conversion or whole new electronic distributor...whaddaya think?"

"I haven't heard of any el

"I haven't heard of any electronic distributor that fits your engine, but if your dizzy is in fairly good condition then a Pertronix 2842 kit will do. It takes less than one hour to install, and you will love the results. There are also Hot Spark kits that are cheaper than Pertronix, but have not heard much feedback about them.

In any case, make sure that the wiring to the ignition coil is in good condition and the connectors are clean and tight."

"Okay, what are the issues in

"Okay, what are the issues in rebuilding the centrifugal advance on the existing distributor. Are parts redaily available up here?? (springs, weights)I found the Hotsparx number for this unit and it comes in around 40 bucks. But the springs etc. I might have to get through Volvo?"

"Not sure where you can get th

"Not sure where you can get the springs, I don't think Volvo sells them. If you are in the Nanaimo area, Island D has a dizzy testing machine, and they might have springs that fit your distributor. If you take the distributor apart and see that the springs are in bad shape or broken, you may want to give them a call at 758-2333 (ask for Tom)."

Back