Logo

lower gear rebuild HELP

blackrain

My lower gears need to be repl

My lower gears need to be replaced. Is there a place you can send your entire lower gear assembly to be rebuilt. I've seen rebuilt ones for 1k. Anything cheaper?

1987 Bayliner 2.3 omc with a ford engine inboard

The lower gears slip occasionally causing a jerk at any rpm.

It sounds like your clutch dog

It sounds like your clutch dogs are slipping and the more you use it the more they will wear down. There are places that will rebuild but with shipping costs you may be better off trying to find a good used one or one already rebuilt close to you (wherever that is?)

i had basically the same issue

i had basically the same issue. bought a used lower unit (2.3 liter omc/cobra) on ebay for 540.00 including shipping. have seen them go for less than that. it appears to be in good shape but only got it yesterday and won't have a chance to install it and try it out until tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments. The

Thanks for the comments. The hasting.org website really drives the point. I will try to replace it myself as my boat is worth 2k tops(if everything was working.)

Is this a job I can do myself? Are the tools expensive? Do I really need then?

After taking apart the lower g

After taking apart the lower gear I discovered the lower gears turned out to be good. Only thing I did was grind (square out) the dog clutch. Boat now works like new. Well new for a 20 year old boat.

Back