Logo

Drain plug at end of heat exchanger leaking water into bilge while in water

ruggles

"It's tight but still leak

"It's tight but still leaks.... Is there a bushing in these that wears out? It's the type that you tighten with your fingers not a wrench. When the boat is out of the water, I can open it up and nothing comes out.... Any ideas WTF could be going on? Water comes through at about a gallon per hour...."

Blue plastic junk? There is a

Blue plastic junk? There is an "O" ring on it. Clean out the drain hole with a tooth brush. Use a little white grease on the new one.

Brass type? Use some teflon tape on it.

"Its a brass one... The thing

"Its a brass one... The thing is, it's not leaking from where it threads in, it looks like its coming out where it's supposed to be when it's opened (but it's closed)... Do I have to go to a marine store to get this part?"

If it is the type used in a en

If it is the type used in a engine block (marine)
It is tapered on the end and when tightened (by hand) typically it should shut the water off.

If you can take a pic and post so we can see what you are specifically talikg about.

If it leaks pull the whole thing out and replace with a brass NPF plug and be done with it. Untill winterization time of course!!

"Guy, I found thet most owners

"Guy, I found thet most owners screw it in too far and tear the threads out of the fitting. They don`t realize it`s a tapered fitting and think if you bottom it out it`s better.They do it with the plugs that come with manifolds and risers,
just snug ,and 1/4 turn ."

Bt Dr:

Mine are probably da

Bt Dr:

Mine are probably damaged. When I got the boat it was 17 yrs old and I had to give each an extra twist to stop the dribbles.

Back