Logo

b72 Seabird V28 Sport Fisherman wtwin LM318 inboards

dirty_bird

"Ok, so I find this 1972 Seabi

"Ok, so I find this 1972 Seabird "Dirty Bird" and fall in love with it...

I have no boating experience at all and have never owned a boat this big before. However, I got the entire vessel in the water for under a grand. I couldn't say no.

She's dirty...needs the hoses replaced and I already replaced the four riser tips. I'm hoping I can get her fired up this weekend.

I will be on here asking a bazillion questions I'm sure!

How many Seabird owners are on this site?

216638.jpg
My dirty bird

"Listen carefully! Fire the mo

"Listen carefully! Fire the motors up one at a time and look for water leaks. Then--and this is critical!--let the motors sit for at least 8 hours. Then do this:

1. Pull the coil wire from the distributor, ground it to the block, and then crank it over.

2. Listen carefully as it spins over. If it goes RRRRRRRR fine, but if it goes RRR-hesitate-RRRR-hesitate-RRRR, then STOP.

3. Pull the rear plugs and look for water on them. No? Then pull the rest and check them as well. DO NOT try to start it up!

Why all this? Old exhaust systems tend to pinhole rust through. When they do water goes right into the exhaust ports. Fire it up and the pistons blow or the rods bend. Ouch!

Good luck,

Jeff"

"Jeff,

You just gave me a s

"Jeff,

You just gave me a slight heart attack ;) I have already turned over the starboard motor and it spins freely with no hesitation. I didn't have the fuel lines connected as I was in process of replacing them so it didn't fire up, but the port motor IS a little sluggish.

I'm going to check those plugs first thing when I'm working on her again this weekend and check for the tale-tale signs of water/rust. Worst case is that it would need to be pulled, but that might not be such a bad thing. They are nearly 40 years old with just over 850 hours on each.

By the way, I've followed some of your posts since I've joined and you really know your stuff!

Glad we a have a resource like yourself!

Jim"

"Didn't mean to bring on a

"Didn't mean to bring on a coronary--sorry! If there's to be water leakage from the exhaust system, it will only occur after you've run it.

Keep in touch, and good luck!

Jeff"

Back