Logo

OMC 43L engine running problems

M

markandlisa

"Hello, I have a 1987 Searay w

"Hello, I have a 1987 Searay with 4.3L OMC. Originally was running bad. Checked compression and found 2 cylinders low. Replaced one head due to crack between valves. And put in 2 new pistons. Compression test good now on all cylinders. Set timing and put new spark plugs in. Engine will start and run at idle and sounds smooth. Go to crack throttle and engine dies. If you try to throttle up slowly it still will cut out and die if you keep throttling up slowly. Seems to be overfueling and not getting air to engine. Took the arrestor off. Choke pull off seems to work as choke plate doesn't appear to cut off air to carb? What am I missing? Thank you for any input!"

"have you checked your acceler

"have you checked your accelerator pump,float level,cleaned the carb? the accelerator pump can be checked by taking the spark arrestor off then unhook your throttle linkage. make sure you have gas in the carb then move your linkage on the carb back and forth you should be able to see gas spraying down in the carb. but you have to make sure your getting enough gas to the carb."

"Great thanks for the input.

"Great thanks for the input. Will check these things tonight. One other thing to ask, as mentioned earlier I did have to change head and 2 pistons. I put new gaskets etc. On the intake manifold there is no rear/front gasket so I used gasket sealer. Don't think i got enough of a bead in the front. Could I have an air leak at this front joint of intake manifold which would cause overfueling and not get air to intake? I didn't think this would be a big deal as the actual ports are sealed off with a gasket connected to head. Should I also check vac? Again appreciate the advice."

"if you didn't put enough

"if you didn't put enough sealer, you would simply have an oil leak. There's no connection to the air intake there."

"Mark, my 4.3 was doing the sa

"Mark, my 4.3 was doing the same thing recently. I found that the idle fuel circuit on one side was plugged. Dead give-away was the fact that I could screw one of the idle mixture screws completly down and the engine would continue to run. I had the other screw out far enough to provide idle fuel. Like yours, if I tried to slowly accelerate from idle it would die. My carb actually had a foriegn object in it from the factory so I had to break it down to find it. You might try removing both idle screws completly and shoot some carb cleaner in each port, then blow through them with air."

"Hello, unplugged the ESA and

"Hello, unplugged the ESA and engine runs great. Plugged ESA back in and if I press switch on shift linkage the rpms cut back so this tells me the ESA works correctly? So do I have a linkage adjustment problem? Is there any good way to check this easily? Thanks again for all the help."

"The ESA should not be stickin

"The ESA should not be sticking on once in gear, there is a 2nd switch called the overstroke next to it that is activated by cams which turns the ESA off. You need to have someone shift in and out of gear while you watch whats going on. See in the pic below to see if the interrupt switch returns to the middle of the v-shape notch and if the cam is actually hitting the overstroke switch.

216985.jpg
"

Back