Logo

Drive gear to drive distributor missing teeth 89 bayliner 23l

wizard166

origanally had a post about no

origanally had a post about not getting spark but now i found the problem. the gear that is in the engine and drives the distributor is stripped on half of it. can i fix this with the engine still in boat or should i pull engine. does anybody know what would cause this so i can make sure it doesn't happen again.

You'll have to get in ther

You'll have to get in there with a bright light and look at the cam gear that drives it. I'm not a Ford guy but I assume it's driven off the cam.

"You will have to look careful

"You will have to look carefully, what has happened to the bits that have broken off? You don't want them floating around in your engine."

my big thing is to find out wh

my big thing is to find out what could have caused it. trying to get some ideas to look at. i am going to pull engine today to start on it.

"again, I don't know Fords

"again, I don't know Fords, but on chevy engines that gear drives the oil pump as well as the distributor, so something stuck in the oil pump would do it.... you can get a kit at an auto parts store or modify an old distributor shaft from the wreckers (Ford Pinto, Mustang, Ranger truck w/2.3) to make a shaft so you can turn the oil pump off of a drill. Rebuilders do this to prelube an engine before start up. Or even reach in with a long screwdriver and try turning the oil pump and see how it feels."

"When you tear down the engine

"When you tear down the engine , they make some nifty magnets that could attach to bottom of oilpan and catch debris from the break-in to prolong the engine life. Inspect cam well, and replace oil pump for sure... On my 2.3, there is enough room to drop my pan with engine onboard..."

i didn't have enough room

i didn't have enough room to drop oil pan and get it out so i have engine on my stand now. i pulled part out but am having trouble locating it. it goes in through front of engine and drives fuel pump as well as distributor. does anybody know where i can find this. i plan on replacing timing belt and check out oil pump or replace it if i can.

Back