Logo

Car engine vs boat engine

island_boy

Contributing Member
What are the differnces betwee

What are the differnces between a car and boat engine as far as internal parts. I know the head gasget is different and I have a bet with a friend that marine engines have different internal componets. Any one able to inform me?

"Hi,
The actual engine itself

"Hi,
The actual engine itself has a different camshaft,core plugs are brass, somtimes pistons are dished tops.

all engine add-ons are different alternator/starter/water pump/distribitor/manifolds/carburetor etc.

I have heard some of the engine castings are thicker, but dont know if this is true, I think there mean the older blocks are better quality.

Gary."

"[b]" I have a bet with a

"" I have a bet with a friend that marine engines have different internal componets."

Ayuh,......

You Loose.......

A Standard production Marine motor is pretty much an Exact copy of a Standard production truck motor of the same vintage....."

"Ayuh,......

You Loose....

"Ayuh,......

You Loose.......

A Standard production Marine motor is pretty much an Exact copy of a Standard production truck motor of the same vintage.....

but he really did say "Difference between a Car and Boat engine" so I think he Wins!!!"

"If you conside the GM engines

"If you conside the GM engines, one specific item that differs is the casting. The interfaces for the starters are different. If your boat starter goes out, what you can do is buy a marine starter (Over $100) or buy an auto starter ($30)and swap the front section that has the mounting flanges.
This isn't really internal, but gets close!!
Bob N
Huntsville, Alabama"

marine starter bolted up to th

marine starter bolted up to the Chevy car engine in my boat just fine. Block casting identical. In fact every single part number in the long block engine is identical including the head gaskets. Cam and core plugs only difference.

"" I have a bet with a fri

"" I have a bet with a friend that marine engines have different internal componets."

Ayuh,......

You Loose.......

A Standard production Marine motor is pretty much an Exact copy of a Standard production truck motor of the same vintage.....

<font color=""0000ff""><font face=""arial,helvetica""><font size=""+1"">HMMMMMMMM you both errrrrrrrrrrr ahhhhh
</font><font face=""courier new,courier""></font><font size=""+2"">LOSE</font></font></font>

<font color=""0000ff""><font face=""courier new,courier""><font size=""+2"">LOL</font></font></font>"

"you by a beer for your buddy

"you by a beer for your buddy and your buddy byes you a beer. End a bet you both win.
smile.gif
"

"I personally found that my st

"I personally found that my starter had a different mounting flange setup. Good to know that standard starters are used on many of the GM engines.
On my 1985 Sea Ray OMC with the 350 block, I had a problem with bilge water getting inside my starter and also into my tilt motor. After getting a new starter and changing the flange part, I used a heavy 2 part epoxy paint to totally coat the outside of the starter. That was last year and that seems to have solved that problem. I also cleaned the tilt motor and gave it a full coat of epoxy paint to seal it. Have not had any further problems with it either.
Bob N
Redstone Arsenal, Alabama"

Back