Logo

OMC 75l 460 wking cobra od carb problems

rickv2008

"I have the above vessel with

"I have the above vessel with some interesting problems. It would start but run a little rough. I took it out for the first time and at 2500 rpm would sputter backfire and have no power. I changed out the plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor. Thinking this was the problem I took it out again and still the same. No power and backfiring and sputtering at 2500 rpm.

I checked the carb but found out it was a throttle body. And it was also cracked at the base hold down "ears". Not knowing what to do I tried to find out a throttle body replacement. No dice. Come to find out the throttle body on it came off of a regular vehicle.

So I ended up getting a Edelbrock 1409 4 bbl performance carb. I also had to change out the fuel pump. (the fuel pump on it was for the throttle body and I was told a TB requires much higher psi (30 psi) than a carb (4-7 psi). Installed new carb, new fuel pump.

Was very nervous but it started right up. I let it warm up for a while, maybe 20 minutes. I then decided to take it out again. Still backfired, but at 3000 rpm. The idle was a little high but I took it out anyway. I could tweak the idle by manually pushing on the linkage (so I could shift it into gear) While coming back to the dock I asked my Bro in law to push on the linkage to lower the rpm so I could shift into nuetral easier. He did so but it died. I then could not get it started again. Not sure why but I thought I could get some good advice from the experts. Does anyone have any ideas on why it is backfiring and why I could not restart the engine after it had been running for a while?

I was thinking of the timing or the coil and maybe the points?"

"I'd be TRIPLE checking th

"I'd be TRIPLE checking the firing order...don't go by what's stamped on the intake - use a manual .Next I'd look at the distibutor - something loose inside, or advance weights rusted off or seized inside... I doubt you have points but you don't say what year the motor is..
An Edelbrock 1409 is only a 600 cfm carb...is that enough fuel for a big 460? makes me wonder if it's just leaning right out...better watch valves don't get burnt up running lean...might want to talk to Edelbrock- their site definitely shows the 1410 is for big blocks, whereas the 1409 is V6 and small block motors"

Back