Logo

HELP 1968 85hp evinrude

keithk

My motor will turn over and st

My motor will turn over and start just fine but as soon as I let go of the key to allow the starter to disengage it quits. I have tried replacing the key switch twice and still same result what next?

"Keith.... In the START positi

"Keith.... In the START position, 12 volts is being applied to the pulsepack which is normal. Obviously you have that as the engine is running.

In the ON position, you must also have 12 volts being applied to the pulsepack. Also obviously, you do not have that and therein lies your problem.

There should only be one (1) wire attached to the "S" (solenoid) terminal of the ignition switch, usually a white wire that leads to the starter solenoid. It's possible that you might also have another wire there that is leading to the power source wire of the pulsepack which does not belong there.

Another factor that may be allowing the engine to run when the key is in the start position is that a diode is attached to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid which leads to the pulsepack, and if so, leave it there as it belongs there.

The wire that leads from the igniton switch to the pulsepack should be attached to either a "I" (ignition) or a "A" (accessory) terminal of the ignition switch. Either terminal would contain the 12 volts needed ONLY when the key is turned to the START and ON position. It appears that it is not attached where it belongs.

Let us know how you make out.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Joe...I double checked this sa

Joe...I double checked this same thing that i may have wired wrong when changing the switch however there is only the white wire going to the s terminal and the the other wires are connected to the i terminal. here is a little more of how i got to this point. I was out camping and the boat kept flooding out so I took it to get serviced while there it started this new problem the service man told me it was the key switch so I changed it and the issue continues. i am going camping again this coming weekend and am hoping to find the problem in time any other ideas greatly appericated

"Check to make sure that 12 vo

"Check to make sure that 12 volts is present at that "I" terminal with the ignition switch in the ON (run) position. Then, if so.......

With a ohm meter, check the continuity between the wire attached to the "I" terminal and the wire at the terminal of the engine that leads to the powerpack voltage input.

Disconnect those wires first of course to eliminate backfeed from other sources."

Back