Logo

1983 2hp eska outboard flooding problem

eric1122

"I have a 1983 2hp eska outboa

"I have a 1983 2hp eska outboard that I bought on craigslist for my canoe. The first time I used it, it ran great for about 30 minutes then I shut it off at a small island and had to row back as it would not start. Since then I tried it several times and it has not run more than 5 minutes before it floods. I bought a carb kit and it still wont run more than 5 minutes without flooding. I was told that it needed a neoprene tipped needle but the carb kit comes with a metal needle and the needle that was in there before the carb kit was also metal. I noticed the fuel comes out very fast when the gas valve is all the way on. Could this be the problem? I do not have an owners manual and its the first outboard I have ever owned. Please help!!"

"The carb float is out of adju

"The carb float is out of adjustment (not "floating" high enough to close the needle valve).

Sorry, don't have a manual either to give you the exact spec's, but positive you have the float set a little too low..."

Thanks I will try that althoug

Thanks I will try that although I dont think that on that little engine there is a way to adjust the float. I will be taking it apart soon when my carb kit arives hopefully it will work.

"Eric--

you usually adjust

"Eric--

you usually adjust float level by bending the tang on float that the base of needle presses against.

some of these motors used steel needle and neoprene/somesortaplastic seat...seat is buried down in a hole and has to be removed with bent pick or fishhook....look down in there with flashlight and see if you see one. no, the amt fuel valve is open shouldn't affect things....the float & needle valve is what actually controls how fast & how much fuel is actually admitted to your carb from fuel line...open your toilet tank & watch float valve operation, works exactly the same as carb float bowl."

"Thanks, I understand how the

"Thanks, I understand how the float works but I did not know to do that adjustment to the carb. I do not see a neoprene (or rubber seat). All it came with was a metal needle and a pin (I guess to pull the needle back when he float drops). All I see is a small copper hole but no seat. I tried putting a small rubber washer but then the needle kept getting stuck. I also tried getting a neoprene tipped needle but could not find one. I will try adjusting the carb like you said."

"some of them seem to use just

"some of them seem to use just a steel needle and metal seat, no neoprene involved. not sure how it works but that's how my 3.5 is set up....and when i tried to add the neoprene seat insert, it shoved the float way too high (out of range of adjustment)."

Back