Logo

Outboard Engine Fuel Filters

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
"Can anyone recommend a fuel f

"Can anyone recommend a fuel filter system for outboard engines. All I saw was filter elements on this site. Academy had a Moeller (sp), but it had no visible information and it had 4 fitting holes. I had an old RACOR but the aluminum housing is about shot and the O rings won't seal. I have a small inline filter as a back up, but it is not a separator.
Thanks for any advise"

"I have a Johnson 200 hp and u

"I have a Johnson 200 hp and use a Racor water separator filter system with a blue plastic drain bowl at the bottom. I have also used the kind that just use a metal cannister without the drain bowl. Both types work great, the only trick to both is to keep them drained and/or replace regularly. I I do prefer the kind with the drain bowl which I drain as a routine matter and change the filter element once a year. My filter has a large flow capacity: 60 gph. If your engine is smaller, you can probably use a 30 GPH system - just make sure it is well above what your maximum burn rate is becasuse you don't want to starve your engine.

I think my Racor unit is B32014 which uses a 3214 filter. I can definitely recommend this unit, but don't know if it's overkill for your rig."

"ther are stainless steel f/w

"ther are stainless steel f/w sep avail....if u r around salt water/and there ,problems w/lines and salt water ingestion....inst one for sure.very cheap,repl 1 a yr"

"I use a racor, have for years

"I use a racor, have for years. The trick is to keep the water drained out of them. If you let water sit in a racor it will start to rust inside thus creating problems. Nice filters just don"t forget to drain them, if you locate it in a splash well a thin film of grease on the outside also helps with rust on the outside of the filter....my vote is for a racor, i would not run a outboard without one."

Back