Logo

30 L OMC water in oil

M

Mark Buenzow

"I have changed the head gaske

"I have changed the head gasket and all of the gaskets around the head and still I get water in my oil. No water in the cylinder heads, just the oil. I have read another log on this same problem and they stated you should use sealant due to some of the head bolts screwing into the water jacket. Is this correct? If so any rtv high temp will work? should I put it in the bolt holes, or, just around the whole gasket? What should the head be torqued to? I also have a leak in the exhaust (down tube? I am new to boats and terminology) where it connects to the manifold. What is the torque for those bolts as well."

"9 times out of 10 water in oi

"9 times out of 10 water in oil is caused by a faulty exhaust manifold, exhaust riser, or riser gasket. Sounds like your riser gasket is at fault, or your riser or manifold are corroded, rotten. Leaking outside usually means leaking inside too and running back into the cylinders, past the rings and into the oil. Head gasket is never the cause of water in oil on a boat.. that's just on cars where the cooling system is pressurized."

yea i would say check gaskets

yea i would say check gaskets first... i put rtv on the threads of the screw not in the actual hole might just get a build up towards bottom. i have done everything you are doing now with an 86 3.0 and then it cut back a little finally took the boat out big backfiring etc.. after redoing the head valves gaskets etc. found out i had a crack in the exhaust manifold the entire time didnt reallize it til it finally cracked past the point of running. id say go to a napa parts store or machine shop get you manifold pressure tested for cracks.

o also not sure the year of yo

o also not sure the year of your 3.0 but for a 1986
ALSO NOTE that this is the GM specs as well not sure if you have a ford or GM so check before using.

torque specs:

head bolts: 1986-1993 = 90 to 100 ft/lbs
1994-1998 = 95 in steps of 35 65 95
manifold:
20-25ft/lbs

exhaust elbow:

12-15

i assume thats the exhaust elbow is what you mean by down tube.. the thing that kinda makes a hook or half loop usually?

Back