Logo

Symptoms have changed Did surges now runs WOT great and stalls at idle

R

Reginald Quinn

"I have a 1998 Baja 192 mercru

"I have a 1998 Baja 192 mercruiser 5.0L 220 hp 2 barrel carb. I posted about how it would surge between 2000 - 3200 rpm and make the boat porpus at WOT. But run prefect at idle and started great. I changed fuel water seperator, tried spray in carb cleaner as well as STP fuel add carb cleaner and no change. I ran the boat for a couple hours putting around the lake at idle only. Tonight I took the boat and no surge and ran great and WOT. After running it hard and backing off the gas the boat would begin to fight to stall and if you put it in neutral it would stall. It starts right up and run fine after the stall. Dirty carb and the stuff is just moving around? Electric fuel pump?"

Reginald:
Did you replace the

Reginald:
Did you replace the spark plugs? Check and adjust the timing and idle mixture screw(s) and reset the idle speed to 650 RPMs while in forard gear.

Also empty the fuel/water separator filter and add a can of SEA FOAM fuel additive to fill it. Next run the engine for no more than 5 mins. and then shut it off. Let the Sea Foam clean the carb overnight. Take it for a ride the next day.

"I have had similar issues lik

"I have had similar issues like yours, now have gas floating on the top of carb, I may try the SEA FOAM trick before buying a rebuilt carb... I did add some to the gas but that didn't seem to help any. I believe the float is stuck so maybe a few taps with a baseball bat will fix it. ;) I also think I had a air leak at the fuel line inlet which I fixed, but now have other problems, check for air leak..."

Back