Logo

125 Force Throttle

M

Mark D

"Hi all. Been having a sporad

"Hi all. Been having a sporadic problem for the last couple of years at the key switch. There are times when I turn the key and nothing happens--i mean nothing. Playing with the throttle handle --which appears to be a little loose, will get it to start. Problem is you never know whaen this will happen. I believe that it may be a neutral safety switch of some sort or failing to sense that the thorttle is in the neutral position--I have never taken apart the throttle control so i'm guessing--any help would be appreciated--Happy Boating

Mark"

"The switch migh be in the eng

"The switch migh be in the engine, depending on the year. U.S. motors did. Brunswick units are in the control."

"I had a switch at the end of

"I had a switch at the end of the cable on the engine. I have a 1986 125hp out board. I had to take it to a mechanic. He showed me where the button is and it cost me money for his info. I hope you find yours to be the same solution. My cable is streched and the mechanic said I could continue to use it that way until I want to change things. I've been using it. Now, I know where the majic spot is. Please do not take this information as the gospel solution to your problem. Remove the motor cover. Check the engine. You may be able to identify the button. Then move the throttle lever and see if it presses the botton and attempts to start. You don't have to take anything apart. Good luck and hope this helps."

"Thanks guys. I did find a sw

"Thanks guys. I did find a switch last year --a breaker switch that went off for the power tilt, reset that and the tilt worked again. Other than that I see no switch on the motor. It's a 1989 motor so it must be in the throttle control. I'll try there first this weekend.

Mark"

Back