Logo

A new prop or a bigger motor

croc

"Could someone help me? I have

"Could someone help me? I have a 40hp Johnson on a 20 foot pontoon boat. It will run fairly decent maybe 5 mph wide open. But i would like to have more speed/power for those get up and go moments, or to be able to tow a innertube some times. My question is, would I have to get a bigger motor like a 75hp or would a different prop do the job. I have a 12x1/2x13 prop on it now. I do like the fuel consumption this motor uses so I would like to keep the motor on and use a different prop if I can. I dont know anything about prop sizes or pitches or anything, I just know whats on the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks."

"what year eng?.....are your p

"what year eng?.....are your pontoons,clean,or,..algae covered?...do u have a tach?,if so what is the wot rpm?"

"I would suggest setting up a

"I would suggest setting up a tach. From my experience with pontoon boats, that prop would be about right to maybe one size too low in pitch. A 20' pontoon boat should move pretty well with that motor. It's not like you're going to waterski behind it, but you should be able to pull a tube around for the kids. Make sure the engine is running well, and get the tach set up so you can check your RPM's. That will tell you which way you have to go with the prop."

"Hi there,

Have you checked

"Hi there,

Have you checked the compression? Is the motor in a good state of tune?

Many times we overlook the real cause and try address the symptom.

Good luck!

Benjamin."

Back