Logo

How to clean the fuel tank

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
I need to clean a 100 gal fuel

I need to clean a 100 gal fuel tank that has had gas in it for who knows how long I removed all the gas and now I want to put new gas in it but there is a brown colored film on the bottom of the tank. I rebuilt the carb and it runs fine throught the new fuel/water filter and a portable fuel tank..

pee in it. then swish it aroun

pee in it. then swish it around...

What is the tank made of John?

What is the tank made of John? Do you want to use solvent based or detergent based cleaner? Does the tank have to be pumped out or is there a drain?

"John H
If it can be handled

"John H
If it can be handled by two people, try putting a clean chain inside and swish it around until it's beer time.
Bert"

it is an aluminum tank and I w

it is an aluminum tank and I will use what ever I can to get it clean. I have the ability to pump out the tank myself and have a place to dispose of the fuel localy. Its cheaper if i pump the tank and take the fuel to them...

"If all you have is a coating

"If all you have is a coating of brown gas varnish deposits, the chain method will break it up to the extent that the chain will touch it. Then flush out the debris.

Your aluminum tank may have some corrosion under the varnish coating which the chain MAY break loose and cause a fuel leak.

Consider using a non-caustic degreaser w/very hot water and anti-foaming agent used in carpet cleaning machines. Let it soak a few hours, agitate the solution during the wait and pump it out. Rinse w/hot water and a pressure washer several times and blow dry w/a powerful shop vac using its exhaust air which will be warm.

To agitate the solution, just haul the boat around on a bumpy road w/numerous stops and starts.

Another method would be to pour in several gallons of carb cleaner and agitate it as above and pump it out.

Startron fuel cleaner

http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=MD39366 4&Category_code=fuel-additive"

Back