Logo

Starter Problem El can you help

"Well, here I am again!! Seem

"Well, here I am again!! Seems I'm not yet done with this project. Having just completed the process of resolving the engine overheating problem by having my heat exchanger rebuilt, and replacing that raw water pump, I'm now back to a No-Start situation...this time resulting from a bad starter solenoid. I say this as I've had it apart, and it appears that the inside of the solenoid housing may be failing....what appears to be a 'liner' of some kind inside the solenoid magnet structure seems to be the cause of the problem. When pulling the solenoid core from the winding housing, I see what looks like a stainless steel sleeve or liner inside the housing. There is a lateral seam or open split in that sleeve, and instead of being flush in a linear pattern keeping the cylinder bore straight and true, this liner or what ever it is appears to have one side folding over the other at one edge, thus rendering the starter solenoid bore to become somewhat conical. This is worsened by the fact that it's at the outer end, not the inner end, so that sleeve is grabbing the core and essentially 'binding' it up. Bottom line is, that unless I can find a new solenoid, I'm going to have to replace the starter. (the starter motor and drive seem fine). So, my question is: Any suggestions on repairing this unit, will an automotive unit work, or are you aware of any potential 'fix' for just the solenoid portion itself? If not, any suggestions on where to buy perhaps a used or reconditions one? I did check ebay and didn't find anything I thought looked similar to my unit. Again, the motor is a 230B, and it's in an 1995 Excel 18 foot open bow runabout. By the way, the engine seems to run wonderfully well now, and I'm delighted about that....but the funny thing is this whole affair began with a 'no-start' symptom from what appeared as the starter....and now, after new timing belts, new distributors, new relays, new throttle safety switches, and even a new battery....I'm back to the starter itself again...only this time I think I can plainly see the cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, from Tom Dickinson. [email protected]"

"Well, here is a link to the p

"Well, here is a link to the part you need, but promise me you won't faint when you see the price:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/STARTER_MOTOR_840808/dm/cart_id.497973580--catego ry_id.332566--list_time.1218162751--session_id.223654324--store_id.366--view_id. 320890

I don't know what the situation is in your area, but I have been lucky enough to know of a shop a few km from where I live that has been doing wonders with my alternators and starters. And if a part is missing, chances are they can either source it new or transplant it from another starter/alternator from their boneyardl. And worse case scenario, chances are they have something identical to what I am looking for.

Failing that, there are a couple of VP boneyards in my areas where I can find things (though I must admit they are not cheap).

In any case, I am not sure that the old style starter for a 4 cylinder OHC VP engine will fit yours (it probably won't). Here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-Aq-145-A-starter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_t rkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1318QQ hashZitem290251037605QQitemZ290251037605

This is the direct replacement.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5906&returntopage= sierra_marine/sierra00803.htm

If none of the above helps, I would take the starter to a repair shop to get their opinion and take it from there."

"Hi El,

Well, I didn't

"Hi El,

Well, I didn't faint.....but I sure gagged a little. But, I gather that's an OE part from Volvo.....of which I also gather that some further looking might produce a suitable substitute for substantially less cost. I actually did some more searching on the internet this evening, found a place called "Go2Marine", and found a number of starters from Siera with a cost of about $135.....however I couldn't verify fitment, so I'm not sure if one of those will be a viable alternative. On the 'up' side, I did make some further attempts at repairing the existing unit. Not only did the solenoid housing have the problem previously described, but I found the brushes were hung up in the end-plate as well. After freeing up the brushes and cleaning out the support plate, I managed to 'snap' that stainless steel sleeve liner plate back into position. That freed up the solenoid, and with good contact from the brushes, the unit is now functioning perfectly!! However, it's reliability factor is about ZERO in my opinion!! So, I'm still going to replace it as soon as reasonably possible. As such, perhaps you can just keep your eyes out for one. Or, if anyone on the site here has one they want to offer up.....again, my email address is: [email protected]. I should mention that although I've NEVER had one unit have so many different problems all at once, after having resolved all these issues, the little boat runs pretty well. I live on a creek off the Potapsco River at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, and while this little boat isn't really what I'd call 'Bayworthy'....it's a nice little creek-hopper...and it towed my girlfriends teenage son on an inner tube without any real problems...other than the overheat issue that I now believe I've got resolved. El, thanks for all your help....that pump and distributor were essential to this repair process, and I really appreciate your help in locating them for me. Although I now have more in repairs than I initially spent for the boat, I think the total investment will prove worth it in the long run....or so I hope!! Thanks again, Tom Dickinson"

"El,

I'm still looking,

"El,

I'm still looking, but just wanted to thank you again for the info. Once this starter problem is resolved, I'll be down to about 3 issues with this boat.....1) a bilge blower, 2) the automatic switch on the bilge pump, and 3) a functional and properly mounted Depth/Fish Finder. But, until I replace this starter, I'm not going to feel 'safe' in this boat...not knowing if I'll be able to re-start the thing to get me home from where ever I end up. So, I'm 'on the hunt'....and hopefully I'll find a starter soon. Until then, again...many thanks!!

Kind Regards, Tom Dickinson"

Back