Logo

SportPac 350 with frequently rusted starter gear

B

BillNetto

I have a 350 sport pac inboard

I have a 350 sport pac inboard engine. I replaced the atarter about 4 months ago. The new starter quit engaging the flywheel. I took it off and found that the drive gear and shaft that engages the starter to the flywheel has so much rust that it looks like it has been on the boat for years. Any ideas as to how salt water is getting onto the starters gear?

"Obviously, the water level in

"Obviously, the water level in the bilge is too high. The flywheel is hitting the water and spraying it all over the place. Soon you'll need a bunch of other parts as well.

Start with finding out where the water is coming in from. Then findout why the bilge pump isn't removing it.

Jeff"

Thanks for the info Jeff. I su

Thanks for the info Jeff. I suspected that was the case. The water is coming from my stuffing box. My bildge pumps are pretty far forward and do not come on until there is more water than I like in the bildge. I can reposition and get the float switch set to come on with very little water in the bildge.

"Tell you what I'd do &#40

"Tell you what I'd do (and the previous owner of my boat did this for me): Install a second bilge pump in the extreme aft of your boat. Get one that does not require a float (it has an electronic gizmo instead) and wire it to be ON when the engine is on.

On the shaft packing, resist the urge to keep tightening it up! That only wrecks your $$$ shaft. Repack (easy job) with teflon packing and you'll be delighted by the results!

Jeff

PS: This would be a good time to check the shaft alignment. Easy to do."

Back