Logo

Exhaust bellows

dazid1

"Hi,
Just about to fit new be

"Hi,
Just about to fit new bellows and gimbal bearing to my Cobra sterndrive, the book of words says no sealent on the aft end of the bellows, is that right, I would be happy to put some rubber lube on it myself unless one of you tell me different, also there is no greaaser on my gimbal, just a rubber bung, sugesting that its never been greased from new, is that normal? The boat has done 426 hours from new and the old bearing is toast.
Regards
Darren
happy.gif
"

I have fitted the bearing now

I have fitted the bearing now but am unable to grease it there are no threads to take a greaser?? does it have a tube cemented in? can anyone help?

"Are you saying that there is

"Are you saying that there is no grease tube on the Stbd side of the transom mount for a grease fitting to screw into? See pic below item 72 and 57. What year and size are you working on?
Also are you talking about the exhaust bellows or the drive shaft bellows???

216057.gif
"

"Yes thats exactly it no tube,

"Yes thats exactly it no tube, thats what I have got as per the picture 1990 4.3 cobra got the holes in both but no tube, whwere can I get one? can I get one?
Daz"

"I am changing both bellows as

"I am changing both bellows as its off, I was tyring to put a greaser in the hole maybe, the old bearing looks like its never been greased at all. Only other thing was to get some 8mm tube and cement it in, how is the origonal suposed to fit, will it just be interference fit?
Daz"

"my old 68 mercruiser never ha

"my old 68 mercruiser never had a grease zerk, you just packed the bearing with grease at installation on those old ones..."

"Tried the website cant get it

"Tried the website cant get it to work,no matches, I asume I go into johnson as there is no omc, do you know the part no Bob?
Thanks Hystat, the bearing looks quite hard to pack, and I would like to get it right, how often did you remove to grease or did you run till it went noisey.

Darren"

"Hopefully You lined up the ho

"Hopefully You lined up the hole in the bearing outer race with the hole for the grease tube/zerk before installing, or You will never get grease into the bearing.
If no tube and fitting, the water will enter into the bearing and ruin it in rather short time."

"This website works fine for m

"This website works fine for me, go under parts and then in the pull down select stern drive and follow through. I had posted the PN's and the $$ above but here it is again.

According to the www.shopevinrude.com site both the tube and the fitting are available through a BRP dealer.

Fitting PN 313607 $4.14
Lube Tube PN 911843 $14.68"

"should be a dot between shop

"should be a dot between shop and evinrude. shop.evinrude.com, but my browser seems to get to the proper site either way, unless I'm at work with my overtly Canadian IP address
"

That's really strange beca

That's really strange because I put the dot in there and when I drag my mouse across it the dot shows up down in the bottom where it shows the URL???? That BRP site is doing some weird stuff lately.

"Just tried to grease it there

"Just tried to grease it there is a lot of grease getting past the outer of the bearing but hopefully enough is getting into it, just checked the u-joints to grease them and only one has a greaser, bit strange, will have to sort one tomorrow."

"This is getting stranger the

"This is getting stranger the grease is getting out of the gap left by the split tolerence ring?? looking at the old bearing it looks sealed and the grease can only go in between the tolerence ring and the bearing, whats the point of than, does anyone know.
Darren"

Back