Logo

1970 chris craft lancer with original 200 series outdrive

kevintporter

"Sorry about the sea skiff pos

"Sorry about the sea skiff post on this thread, I lost my head. I was wondering about repowering but keeping my volvo-penta outdrive. It has already been changed fron the original chris craft 2.8 to a buick 231 3.3 liter. My question is whether or not I can pu a small block chevy v-8 on that outdrive without major difficulty. Someone told me the buick has an extra bolt at the top where other GM motors just don't use that mounting hole. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Kevin"

"I own a 1969 Lancer that orig

"I own a 1969 Lancer that originally came with a 283 block and a 250 drive. Today it is running a 5.7L 260HP Merc w/Fresh Water cooling and a 280B drive. This is actually the second Lancer that I've owned and done engine swaps on.
I am going to assume that ChrisCraft made no changes from 69 to 70. In 1969, they had Volvo supply an elongatged intermediate housing that: a) allowed ChrisCraft to use its existing inventory of inboard engines and b) set the engine several inches forward for better weight distribution.
That intermediate housing, on the engine side, "bolts up" to any inboard engine in the "bobtail configuration" (Borg -Warner).
I did a fair amount of research before deciding on the engine I used. The only "mods" were the need to reduce the exhaust line to 3" and a couple of elbows to hookup with the "Y" pipe exhaust and the conversion of the engine to thru hull water pickup (external strainer) to accomodate thehigher water flow requirements of a FWC engine (big hint here.. the water line into the engine's raw water pump is larger than the water line from the drive)... THAT SAID... If your existing (assumed 250B) drive is in good shape, I'd keep it, HOWEVER, I'd do something else with the exhaust. My first Lancer conversion used a Chrysler 318 CID 225 HP engine withthru transom exhaust via mufflers mounted inside the transom. That rig turned a 14.5 x 21 prop at 4200 RPM. I allowed myself to be talked out of a thru hull setup by the mechanic that did this current swap (I did the first one myself) and my 350CID 260HP engine thru a 280B drive is only turning a 15 x 21 prop at 3850 RPM. I don't think that the 350 CID engine is happy with what is in effect a SINGLE approx 2 inch exhaust port thru the drive when the manifolds/elbows exit at 3.5 inches EACH. Mufflers are an issue here in NJ as they are required for certain engine setups."

"Thanks Robert, that answered

"Thanks Robert, that answered most of my questions and today I also found that the engine and outdrive i have marked chrysler crusader is actually an AQ120/200. I turned the motor over with a ratchet with ease although there was water in the engine. I am considering running the AQ120 with its current outdrive which I believe is a 270 as well. That would give me a second outdrive should I have any problems.

Thank you very much for your posting. I love the lancer, I actually have another one that's a 73 with a 350 inboard. These hulls are hard to beat.
Thanks again,

Kevin"

"I'm confused...Are you pl

"I'm confused...Are you planning to use the engine and drive as spares for the Lancer??
Which Lancer do you have??? 19 or the 23?
That engine is waaaay too small for a 23 Lancer.
And the standard drive for AQ120 is the 270D drive which has a 2.15:1 reduction. The normal reduction for V8 engines is 1.61:1, i.e., a 270B drive."

Back