Logo

Mid70bs Ted Williams 75 hp idle problems

S

Scott LaSala

"Just got an old air-cooled TW

"Just got an old air-cooled TW 7.5. It's got great compression, ignition works great, carb clean. I replaced the broken "fuel pump" insert and the water pump for the exhaust cooler. Fires up and runs okay at mid to high RPMs. However, I bring it down to idle position and it wants to die on me. I don't want to set the idle that high - I'd probably pop a tooth engaging the drive that fast. Am I running too rich?

Also, bottom end the reverse gear and shifter is in great shape. The forward gear and drive shaft gear has teeth missing. Know where I can get a replacement lower end/ replacement gears?"

"I have 2 old 7.5 Gamefishers

"I have 2 old 7.5 Gamefishers with the same idle issue. Mine both have electronic ignition, and have a nice bright spark jumping across the plug when I test them. The only thing I didn't replace in the carb that I wanted to is the flap valve, since I haven't found one yet. I turned them around since they are a mirror image when you do, but it hasn't helped.
I'm assuming the fuel pump insert was the redish colored fuel pump element. Make sure that it is installed at a 45 degree angle, with one of the thin sides of the element pointing toward the center of the carb throat.
I'm not willing to part mine out just yet, but there are likely lots of these motors out there with bad engines and good bottom ends. Personally I'd check ebay. Out of curiosity, what is the model number of your motor? It is likely 217......."

I have an old ted williams wit

I have an old ted williams with the same issues. Model #574-59950. I can get it to run but not idle without keeping the choke pulled out just a little bit. Any ideas about the adjustment of the carb? any idea about the year? is it air or water cooled? I've had lots of toys but no boat motors. Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Back