Logo

1961 Johnson FD15 18 p engine spark plugs

photograph4

what kind of spark plugs do i

what kind of spark plugs do i need for a (1961 i believe) Johnson FD-15 18 HP. i dont know that the ones that are in there now are correct.

any good ideas as to why it wont start! I got it running once thing season and used it for about 10 mintues before heading into shore to insure i didnt get stranded in the middle of the lake with a flakey motor. Since it wont start at all- sometimes i get loud pops. I have replaced the carb float as the old was was cruddy. It also appears that one line to the spark plugs doesnt work- but it should still atleast do something right? Its getting gas- could this all just be because one plug isnt getting the spark from the line that plugs into it? What could cause that?

"No point doing any guessing h

"No point doing any guessing here.Pull the flywheel and inspect for cracked ignition coils.That is a very , very common problem.Spark must jump a gap of at least 1/4" or you " do not have spark ""

"It calls for J-6J or J-4J, wh

"It calls for J-6J or J-4J, which have ben replaced by J-6C and J-4C. If you are having spark problems I'd remove the flywheel and look at the coils to make sure they aren't cracked, and the points aren't pitted. Edit, wow, everybody spoke up at once! :)"

Back