Logo

DIY Engine hoist

lodochnik

"Hello,
I'd like to build

"Hello,
I'd like to build a gantry-type engine hoist for pulling engines. It needs to be on casters and must be about 10 feet wide to straddle the stern, and probably at least 8 feet high. Engines are 2 Volvo AQ130's. Has anyone built one or does anyone know of a source of plans? Thanks. George"

"I'd rent an engine hoist

"I'd rent an engine hoist or buy one from Harbor Freight if you're in the U.S.. They are on casters and have an adjustable boom--in & out, and different angles and heights.

You can get one for around $150 at Harbor Freight that will lift 1,000 or more. If it doesn't reach high enough you can raise it up with blocks under the base.
Lift your motor, pull the boat out, lower the motor. Reverse for installation."

"I already have an automotive

"I already have an automotive type hoist that is too low. The boat is on stands, so it doesn't work to raise the hoist on blocks. However, they do list one at Harbor Frieght with a maximum height of 117", for $200, and that should do it. Good suggestion, thank you."

If you know anyone with a back

If you know anyone with a back hoe and chain fall that would work. I called our local rental place and they offered to do it for $30 each.

Wow.I wouldn't find anyone

Wow.I wouldn't find anyone in this neck of the woods even to come to the door for $30! But I appreciate the suggestion.

Back