Logo

Nissan 70 hp Motor

"When I try to start the motor

"When I try to start the motor, the starter solenoid just clicks. I have replaced the main switch and the battery is good. What should I try next?"

Next? You need to troubleshoot

Next? You need to troubleshoot the starting system to find the problem. Random replacement of parts is a little expensive.

"Several things can cause the

"Several things can cause the starter to click and not function. It may be a bad solenoid, the item that switches the battery power to the starter. It can also be bad electrical wire connections that can be the result of corroded copper inside a cable or a loose connection. There is always the "low" battery that will also cause that symptom.
One way to check and bypass the solenoid and wiring is to connect a jumper directly to the starter "hot" terminal. Then with the other end of the jumper, touch the clamp to the pos. battery terminal. If all you get is a click, the battery may be your problem. Remember that a very low battery can often power your basic electrical items, even though it may not heve enough power to do a start. In a car, the simple way to check a battery is to turn the lights on then try to start your engine. If the lights go off, the battery is low or bad. If the lights stay on then you have a starter circuit problem.
Bob N"

Back