Logo

Mercury XR4 Question

marks500

Contributing Member
"I have a 1990/1991 Mercury 15

"I have a 1990/1991 Mercury 150HP XR4 It is on the back of a 18'8 Astro Quickfire Flipn DK. It Runs about 50-55mph full throttle at a little over 5000rpms.... It has a jackplate and It has a 5 blade prop on it that came on it when the boat was boat new, The boat has very low hours. Maybe 100 hrs on it. Now My friend has the same boat just a 92 Model, with a 150 XR6 and his tuns in the low 70's, Is mine capable of that too?"

"The short answer is "mayb

"The short answer is "maybe".

The "hi-five" prop is definately designed for a better hole shot and quicker to plane and sustained plane at lower speed. Excellent if you are pulling skis, tubes or just cruising at less than full throttle, but you are giving up probably at least 10-15% of your top end speed, so simply going to a 3 blade prop may get you an extra 5-10 mph without changing anything else.

The rest of the difference between your boat and your buddy's top end can be do to simple habits - if you have exactly the same amount of fuel on board, with the boats loaded exactly the same, running the same prop etc etc, the numbers should be similar.

I kinda look at this way however, a 150 XR4 or XR6 running full tilt at 70 mph is burning about 15 gallons per hour - that's 60 bucks an hour to go 70 - I might be happy doing say 40 and saving a bit of gas - but that's personal...."

"Thanks for the info, I am not

"Thanks for the info, I am not gonna change anything, 55 is fast enough for me... to tell you the truth 70 makes me a bit nervous, only takes on wrong move at that speed. Why change it when it works fine."

"Excellent suggestion [img][/i

"Excellent suggestion
"

Back