Logo

Carter AFB tuning

Where can I find information o

Where can I find information on tuning Carter AFBs?

The carbs I have have a large screw/bolt on a spring between the idle mixture screws and I am sure they are not set correctly.

I have one engine hunting until it finally stalls and another that runs for awhile and then stalls.

I can find lots of info on setting idle and adjusting the idle mixture screws but I can't get that far because I can't keep them running.

Anyone know of a source for information?

Thanks

Mark

"Hello

I'm running with

"Hello

I'm running with twin 318s with carter afbs. I had similar problems and did the following to correct it.

#1 rebuilt both carbs complete with accelerator pumps.
#2 adjusted floats level with carb body
#3 Removed the choke assemblies.
#4 Adjusted mixture screw 1.5 turns each.

What could be happening is that the carbs are flooding, or sediment is traped inside the float bowls. I find that thease carbs are tempermental to dirt and debri that could be blocking air and fuel flow.

hope this can help you."

"That big screw is the idle sp

"That big screw is the idle speed adjustment--it allows more or less air in to change the idle speed. Hook up a vacuum gage and dial in the idle mixture screws until you obtain the highest vacuum. (Note: Do NOT use the PCV hose for your vacuum source!)

Turn that big screw in until the motor will idle, then play with the mixture screws. When you get a decent idle, lower the idle speed and try again.

Jeff

PS: If you can't get it to idle with the air screw all the way out, the carb is flooding."

"Fastjeff

you said do not u

"Fastjeff

you said do not use pcv valve hose for vac gauge, on my 318 it is the only vac source? Do you put in a new vac source in the maniford then?
thanks for the help"

"Not easy, is it! There's

"Not easy, is it! There's a tiny hose on the carb that goes to the choke pull off dashpot that you can use.

Jeff"

Back