Logo

Charging system trouble

B

BRUCE GOODSITE

"I have a Chrysler 318 that ha

"I have a Chrysler 318 that has needed TowBoatUS to get me home twice in the last two years. Had the alternator checked at a reliable shop. They spun it and said it was good. Now I have serious doubts. Complicating things is a voltmeter that only reads between 8 and 10 volts unless I disconnect the blue wire that goes to the oil pressure readout, then I get the 12-13 that I think is normal. Can anyone suggest what I should do to try to get this straightened out?? HELP PLEASE!!"

"Bruce

If you have an exte

"Bruce

If you have an external voltage regulater, that is where the problem is. It is either bad or not making a solid ground contact. Upgrade your Altinators.

I did away with external voltage regulator and installed a new altinator with an internal regulator, my volt meters now show a strong volt charge at 14v when runnig.

This should solve your charging problems, it worked for me on twin 318s."

Thanks much! I have integral

Thanks much! I have integral voltage reg on this alternator. I have pulled the alternator and had it tested for output and internal problems and it checks out fine. The re-builder that checked the unit said to look for trouble at the oil pressure switch that feeds low voltage to the alternator when the engine starts. I can't for the life of me find any oil pressure switch that feeds the field side of the alternator. Does anybody know where it is?????

"The "idiot light" swi

"The "idiot light" switch is among that pile of stuff near the distributor. There's two devices there: the oil pressure sender unit, and the switch. Look for the oil pressure hose comin gout of the engine near the distributor and follow it to the oil sensor manifold.

I've had two of these oil pressure switches go out on me, so that could be your problem. I suggest replacing it--take it to NAPA and heve them match it up. Not expensive.

Jeff"

Thanks very much. I found the

Thanks very much. I found the spot where it SHOULD have been. All that was there was a plug beneath the pressure sender. Obviously somebody took it off and never replaced it. It now has a new pressure switch and the alternator is getting juice. What I don't understand is how I could have brought the boat back from Sturgeon Bay WI to near Monroe MI and not had electrical problems on the way. Can an alternator put out any electricity without exciting the field??

"Hey

I eliminated that idi

"Hey

I eliminated that idiot switch you are refering to and the oil manifold and hose, I screwed the oil sender into the block where the hose went and have my altinators grounded and hot to solinoids.

What is the purpose of the switch if you have internal regulators in the altinators?

Any Thoughts

Art"

"Art:

I assume you still ha

"Art:

I assume you still have some type of low oil pressure warning system? That's the purpose of that switch (along with temperature switches in the motor and exhaust system). After burning up a motor I have three temp switches and the oil pressure switch rigged to alarm if anything goes haywire. It took an $$$$ disaster for me to learn that little lesson!

Jeff

PS: I also have a low water pressure alarm, in case the motors loose water pressure for some reason. Okay, so I'm a bit anal!"

Back