Logo

87 omc repair manual

rcahill31

Regular Contributor
"Is there many major differenc

"Is there many major difference"s between the 87 and 88 5.7 engine and cobra outdrive, would the 87 omc repair manual cover most of the 88 model?"

There are some minor differenc

There are some minor differences from year to year but I can't think of anything too major where you'll get into trouble.

"Bob, another question is ther

"Bob, another question is there a size difference in the cobra and king cobra outputshaft with a 5.7 litre engine?"

Which shaft are you calling th

Which shaft are you calling the "output" shaft? The u-joint shaft or the prop shaft? Anyway if your talking about the late 80's version of the King Cobra they are the same basic outdrive. If your talking in the early 90's then it could be a different drive going from dog clutch style to cone clutch style.

"Bob, I am talking about 1988

"Bob, I am talking about 1988 and the prop shaft, I bought this boat this last May it has a 5.7 in it and the previous owner left a new vortex mich.prop with a 101 hub kit, the only problem is the thrust washer will not go all the way on to the back of the shaft, I called Mich. wheel and all the numbers I gave them were correct and they did not know why it would not slide all the way on, then someone in a marina suggested U may have a king cobra outdrive as they did hook them up to some 350's, and perhaps the shaft is larger in diameter, I do not have a clue?"

Nope...can't be that. Thos

Nope...can't be that. Those props are interchangeable and the shafts are the same size. Not sure why your thrust washer won't go all the way on. I assume you have a regular OMC prop on now with a thrust washer?

"Bob, Thank you for your reply

"Bob, Thank you for your reply, yes I have a omc prop on it now and the thrust washer that was on the prop shaft, it is thicker and largerin dia. than the Mich. votex, take care"

Back