Logo

Water pump impeller removal

don73

"Hello, I goofed and started m

"Hello, I goofed and started my boat with out water, and burnt up the impeller. The impeller is stuck on the shaft. What is the best way to remove it? Thanks, Don"

"Penetrating oil (PB Blast

"Penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and wait. If it still doesn't want to come off, you'll need to use a hack saw on it so you can split the sleeve. You'll also need to replace both halves of the water pump housing if it's plastic. You can buy a kit with everything you need."

"HI, Another question: What is

"HI, Another question: What is the best way to flush out the pieces of destroyed impeller from my Alpha 1 unit? Where do i start? Thanks, Don"

"Thanks Steve & Jim; I rem

"Thanks Steve & Jim; I removed the impeller using your methods. I posted another message concerning flushing the pieces of the impeller from the system. So far i have gotten no response. Can you help Me? Thanks Again, Don"

"Hi guys, Iam ready to install

"Hi guys, Iam ready to install the new water pump, but would like to here your input on the last two messages that i posted, before i reassembe it. Thanks, Don}}}}"

"Don, you can stick a garden

"Don, you can stick a garden hose into the raw water intake hose of the motor (Port side 1-1/2 hose that connects to the thermostat housing), and give it a blast. This should clear out any debris in the outdrive. I would also open up the thermostat housing and see if any stuff got in there. Also if you remove the thermostat and the large circulating pump hose, and give it a blast with the garden hose, you might clean out the block."

"Hi, Another question: On my A

"Hi, Another question: On my Alpha 1 lower unit, the pump was pretty well destroyed. Is there supposed to be a seal of some kind in the top pump housing? I asked at a local marine supply store and they said no,and the only thing that goes on top is the rubber ring that came with the kit,and it just rests on top of the pump,not inside. Can some one tell me if this is proper? Thanks, Don"

"Don, The Alpha 1 Gen I pump h

"Don, The Alpha 1 Gen I pump housings do not have a seal in the top. They have only the slinger. The base of the pump has a driveshaft seal and an o-ring. If the pump base looks deformed, replace it."

"I wish to thank Chris 1956 fo

"I wish to thank Chris 1956 for the info. I don't wish to be a pain in the neck,but i am a newbie to boats. And so, here is another question. The new impeller that came with the water pump kit for my Alpha 1 is quite a bit larger than the diameter of the cup that it goes in. Is this proper? If so i assume that the impeller vanes would have to be bent back to install. Looking down from the top, should they be bent to the right or left? I would think to the right. Also, does any one happen to know how much torque should be used on the pump cover nuts? Or should they just be pulled down snug and not be torqed? .Thanks Again, Don"

"PLEASE HELP! I also have a q

"PLEASE HELP! I also have a question, how do you reinstall the gear housing? I have put it up, but it still lacks about a inch and a half getting back into place. Is there something I'm supposed to do with the gears? Please help!"

Back