Logo

Carrier Bearing

modified

"On 82 Merc.150,do you have to

"On 82 Merc.150,do you have to have shift shaft in neutral before pulling carrier bearing out? This baby won't budge even with big puller on it. Also is it common to use the torch on older model's in salt use? thank's"

"Yes, should be in neutral. If

"Yes, should be in neutral. If the carrier has never been out and this has been run in salt I'm actually a little amazed that you got it disassembled to the point you are at - I have a 91 model that was run in salt and if/when the lower goes the whole thing is going in the junk pile - the bearing carrier and the gearcase are "one" now

You might try soaking it in CLR or the like for 24 hours or so and then take the torch to it - and then the jackhammer when you really get flustered
"

The threaded ring will almost

The threaded ring will almost never unscrew. That will have to be destroyed carefully with a drill bit and a hand chisel with out boogering the threads in the case. That is written in the manual. Thae carrier will pull out in any gear with some heat. The prop shaft may not come out with the shift shaft in the top of the case.

"Assuming you get it apart and

"Assuming you get it apart and then decide to rebuild it ,I would tap a couple of retaining screws through the gear case into the retaining ring, as the thread will probably be dodgy ,Do you "Master Posters " think that is fair comment ?"

Back